Can copepods live in copper?

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a look at my fallow QT tank that has copper in it, and there are thousands of pods on the dirty glass! How is this possible, wouldn’t the copper kill them? Meanwhile my DT has amphipods but few, if any copepods.

How can I safely transfer them to the DT without cross-contaminating the copper??

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we have different possibilities.

Do You have calcium sand or rock in the tank?
The cupper will be there and not in the water.

If You can measure a cupper value in the water something has happened with the copepods and they are totally different from the copepods we normally find in nature and our tanks. I would not add such animals to one mine tanks.

It is not copepods at all but another kind of animals that can live with more cupper in the water.

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely copepods. I’ll check the copper concentration, but my question is: is there a way to safely transfer them to my DT?

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we have different possibilities.

Do You have calcium sand or rock in the tank?
The cupper will be there and not in the water.

If You can measure a cupper value in the water something has happened with the copepods and they are totally different from the copepods we normally find in nature and our tanks. I would not add such animals to one mine tanks.

It is not copepods at all but another kind of animals that can live with more cupper in the water.
I do have a piece of "live" rock in there - that must be where the pods came from in the first place. I'm going to test the water for residual copper today.

They are most certainly copepods, but the larger variety, (not amphipods, I know the difference) the kind that can be seen with the naked eye and like to populate the glass and substrate, as opposed to the kind that are just look like specs floating in the water column.

How do I capture them, and once I have them, can I safely transfer them to my DT? If the copper reading is 0 or low, can I trust it? I don't want any kind of cross contamination - especially not on the account of some pods..

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a piece of "live" rock in there - that must be where the pods came from in the first place. I'm going to test the water for residual copper today.

They are most certainly copepods, but the larger variety, (not amphipods, I know the difference) the kind that can be seen with the naked eye and like to populate the glass and substrate, as opposed to the kind that are just look like specs floating in the water column.

How do I capture them, and once I have them, can I safely transfer them to my DT? If the copper reading is 0 or low, can I trust it? I don't want any kind of cross contamination - especially not on the account of some pods..
You would have to transfer the rock or media from the QT tank, which I wouldn't do.

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to transfer the rock or media from the QT tank, which I wouldn't do.
Well.. the pods are on the glass, not so much the rock. Do you know of any way to catch them? could I use a paper towel or scrape them off, or maybe use a pod hotel that I rinse in fresh saltwater several times before transfer or somehting?

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get that piece of live rock from your display tank ? Lol
Of course! That the irony. No pods in the DT (well none so bold as to crawl on the sand or glass). I feed phytoplankton daily too :(

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! That the irony. No pods in the DT (well none so bold as to crawl on the sand or glass). I feed phytoplankton daily too :(
I am curious if you ever tested your copper level and if you figured out if they are really copepods. I want to go fallow in my main display and treat copper in my QT but feeding my mandarin has been stressing me out. I need to figure it out soon as I have started moving fish over to QT.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back