Can coral get too large?

tomte25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if corals can reach a size where pruning/fragging is needed for their own wellbeing. I’ve never frag’d anything yet but I may want to do so to my GSP and green toadstool for this reason (and to maybe prevent the GSP from throwing pieces of itself off to take root elsewhere).

For those that commonly do fragging, do you keep a batch of rock “cooking” for mounting pieces to if you don’t use plugs? Or just get rubble from your LFS?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can. I haven't had the issue, though I'm trying to change that, but colonies can get large enough that we have difficulties with getting enough flow or lighting, for aesthetics/design, or the coral just starts to encroach upon other colonies.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if corals can reach a size where pruning/fragging is needed for their own wellbeing. I’ve never frag’d anything yet but I may want to do so to my GSP and green toadstool for this reason (and to maybe prevent the GSP from throwing pieces of itself off to take root elsewhere).

In our aquarium, yes. I've never read anything to suggest that issue in the wild.

LiveRockmia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild id say they are naturally fragged by the elements of nature (storms, tsunamis, fish, etc) as well as neighboring coral

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back