Can coral get too large?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tomte25
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tomte25

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2017
Messages
37
Reaction score
12
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if corals can reach a size where pruning/fragging is needed for their own wellbeing. I’ve never frag’d anything yet but I may want to do so to my GSP and green toadstool for this reason (and to maybe prevent the GSP from throwing pieces of itself off to take root elsewhere).

For those that commonly do fragging, do you keep a batch of rock “cooking” for mounting pieces to if you don’t use plugs? Or just get rubble from your LFS?

 
They can. I haven't had the issue, though I'm trying to change that, but colonies can get large enough that we have difficulties with getting enough flow or lighting, for aesthetics/design, or the coral just starts to encroach upon other colonies.
 
I’m wondering if corals can reach a size where pruning/fragging is needed for their own wellbeing. I’ve never frag’d anything yet but I may want to do so to my GSP and green toadstool for this reason (and to maybe prevent the GSP from throwing pieces of itself off to take root elsewhere).

In our aquarium, yes. I've never read anything to suggest that issue in the wild.
 
In the wild id say they are naturally fragged by the elements of nature (storms, tsunamis, fish, etc) as well as neighboring coral
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new