Can different nano gobies be housed together?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got these 2 and it’s honestly definitely possible. They’re best friends and don’t leave each other. 25 gal nuvo
8A350DF6-E609-4917-820A-D7FB71A72D27.jpeg
Is that a Neon cleaner goby and a Trimma?

Might be too many gobies for that tank size. Do not get multiple similar gobies. There are a massive verity of gobies, so I would recommend looking around before coming to a more final list.
I was actually just thinking of potentially adding one more fish to my setup, but wanted to see if anyone here had experience with mixing any of them on the list. I was thinking a neon goby or shark nose as they get along with the masked gobies and trimmas at my LFS. Also a eviota would be awesome but I have a feeling it would fight with the masked gobies as they look very identical but different species. Not sure at all about this..

DO both neon gobies and shark nose gobies clean other fish? There are so many pico gobies that are new to the hobby - I love it!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was actually just thinking of potentially adding one more fish to my setup, but wanted to see if anyone here had experience with mixing any of them on the list. I was thinking a neon goby or shark nose as they get along with the masked gobies and trimmas at my LFS. Also a eviota would be awesome but I have a feeling it would fight with the masked gobies as they look very identical but different species. Not sure at all about this..

DO both neon gobies and shark nose gobies clean other fish? There are so many pico gobies that are new to the hobby - I love it!
Neon and Shark nose both clean fish!
Also in that photo is in fact both Elecantinus however one is the Red Head, E. puncticulatum and the other is E. evelynae.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes, but they may not clean smaller fish.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon and Shark nose both clean fish!
Also in that photo is in fact both Elecantinus however one is the Red Head, E. puncticulatum and the other is E. evelynae.
Oh wow! I had no idea how diverse of phenotypes the species Electantinus is. I thought they all looked like the neon stripes.

Based off all the pico gobies we are speaking of from the list what do you think would go best with the masked gobies, yasha, and possum in my evo? I am thinking one of the Elecantinus for sure. Would be incredibly cool to see it clean the possum wrasse (although im guessing unlikely). One of my LFS has one also, but I think they also have a super chubby Eviota which is always a plus as the good eaterss typically are the fish that last the longest. I am worried the Eviota will fight with the masked gobies as they all look near identical.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with Trimma Cana personally as they’re so unusual compared to most Trimma species (But also because I have a weak spot for Trimma and Discordipinna).

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow! I had no idea how diverse of phenotypes the species Electantinus is. I thought they all looked like the neon stripes.

Based off all the pico gobies we are speaking of from the list what do you think would go best with the masked gobies, yasha, and possum in my evo? I am thinking one of the Elecantinus for sure. Would be incredibly cool to see it clean the possum wrasse (although im guessing unlikely). One of my LFS has one also, but I think they also have a super chubby Eviota which is always a plus as the good eaterss typically are the fish that last the longest. I am worried the Eviota will fight with the masked gobies as they all look near identical.
Masked gobies hover, and Eviota gobies don't, so you should be fine there. It's not just appearance that matters, it's behavior.
Masked gobies, a yasha goby, and a possum wrasse should all get along together, though I'm not entirely sure whether a 13.5gal (think that's what you said you have?) is enough space for a possum wrasse. It might be, I don't recall how active they are. As for what gobies could possibly go with masked gobies, a yasha, and a possum, I'd think just about any small, rock-top-perching goby would be fine. Trimmas, clown gobies, that sort of thing. Do stock /slowly/, and watch tank parameters to track bio-load. You're mostly talking about pico species, so you can fit a few in a tank that size, but behavior and bio-load are important to watch. Make sure you have plenty of rock for bio-filter space.

Don't expect to see a cleaner goby clean anything smaller than a tang. If you want to see cleaning behavior, go for one of the cleaner shrimp. Scarlet skunk cleaners will pretty reliably attempt to clean even small fish, though the fish may not necessarily tolerate it.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Masked gobies hover, and Eviota gobies don't, so you should be fine there. It's not just appearance that matters, it's behavior.
Masked gobies, a yasha goby, and a possum wrasse should all get along together, though I'm not entirely sure whether a 13.5gal (think that's what you said you have?) is enough space for a possum wrasse. It might be, I don't recall how active they are. As for what gobies could possibly go with masked gobies, a yasha, and a possum, I'd think just about any small, rock-top-perching goby would be fine. Trimmas, clown gobies, that sort of thing. Do stock /slowly/, and watch tank parameters to track bio-load. You're mostly talking about pico species, so you can fit a few in a tank that size, but behavior and bio-load are important to watch. Make sure you have plenty of rock for bio-filter space.

Don't expect to see a cleaner goby clean anything smaller than a tang. If you want to see cleaning behavior, go for one of the cleaner shrimp. Scarlet skunk cleaners will pretty reliably attempt to clean even small fish, though the fish may not necessarily tolerate it.
Good points. The masked gobies I have are honestly all over the place. They will be free swimming, hovering, and often perching as well on a coral or on the sand bed. Watching the Eviota in the store it seemed to do the same just a bit more on the rocks. I think I will avoid any clown goby species because of the rare horror stories I have heard. Plus whenever I get one they do not seem to ever last too long. My tank is already a year and a half established. The yasha Goby is a year old, the possum wrasse about the same age minus a couple months, and the Masked gobies were a recent edition last month. I will admit I think the Possum wrasse deserves a bigger tank seeing it is such a smart and active/intelligent fish, but clearly is thriving in what is about a 10 gallon display tank. Please follow my build thread if you want to see any photos or videos.

@i cant think I dont think I have ever seen any Trimma at any of my LFS but will keep my eyes out for a future purchase

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anywhere online sell Cana's anymore ? I would Eviota's in my new tank but my last one just hid behind my main rock stuck to the glass and only came out to eat. But I did only have him for about 2 months before I shut the tank down and gave him away.

Neom's seem to be a little more active and out and about.

I am assuming they don't care too mucj for a good amount of flow ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anywhere online sell Cana's anymore ? I would Eviota's in my new tank but my last one just hid behind my main rock stuck to the glass and only came out to eat. But I did only have him for about 2 months before I shut the tank down and gave him away.

Neom's seem to be a little more active and out and about.

I am assuming they don't care too mucj for a good amount of flow ?
Eviotas are much braver in groups so if you only had one then that is most likely why he always hid.
As for T. cana I have seen some for sale over here and usually stock over here as well as seasonal fish is very close to the stock/seasonal fish available over there.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to make an update - the masked gobies, Possum Wrasse, and Neon Striped gobies are all very friendly. Since adding the Neon Goby they all seem to swim out in the open more. The neon goby is a spazz but a great addition. It wont clean the other fish but does try to clean my hand when I put it in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back