Can different nano gobies be housed together?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you base your livestock in your tank off the LFS tanks where they house all the fish I would just give up the hobby now.
Although this sounds harsh, it’s not wrong. However I have discovered gobies are much different and actually housing 12 or so in a nano (20g min id say) isn’t impossible.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t keep more than 1 Firefish goby in the same tank unless they are a mated pair.
+1 to this, unless you have N. magnifica which can be kept in small groups then keep them to one or if you find a mated pair then leave it at that.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for getting angry, but it is entirely species dependent. Ive had Watchman Gobies that would fight any skinny looking goby/blenny to the death. I had a Starry Blenny that would literally DESTROY any fish that was added after it into a 32 biocide. Clearly you cant just add any fish together. Advice like that sounds like a hungry/crappy LFS who wants to desperately sell their fish.

Also, if you were not aware, LFS do not house most fish for their long term survival, but for their short term stay and sale.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think - your fish and photos are beautiful. Again, I greatly appreciate you chiming. Your tank shows with some love, care, and forethought of species you can get a bunch of different gobies together in a nano. I have a similar situation going with my Fluval Evo 13.5. I currently have a Possum Wrasse, 2 masked Gobies, and 1 yasha goby. Down the road I may add a neon cleaner goby. Probably could add more gobies from the list I added above if the tank could handle the bioload, but 1 more tiny fish seems more than enough.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have three masked gobies, two neon gobies and two trimma in 40 breeder. There is zero interaction between the three species. The only aggression is between the two neons. The larger constantly chases the smaller to the other side of the tank if the smaller enters the larger's territory. This has been going on for two years.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to mix Neon and Sharknose or Neon's and Trimma or Trimma's and Eviota's but was told that was a no go lol. Such a shame.

But people mix Occi's and Perc's all the time ‍(throws hands up)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to mix Neon and Sharknose or Neon's and Trimma or Trimma's and Eviota's but was told that was a no go lol. Such a shame.

Most time mixing Occis and Percs ends in death of one of the fish eventually.

This is my big dilemma/question though. I think a lot of these fish will mix. I could see Masked Gobies, Eviotas, Neons, and Trimma being fine together in a smaller tank. My LFS keeps a few different species together in like a 5 gallon - I think Masked, neons, and eviotas. If any of these fish has a personality of a masked goby they are incredibly peaceful (from my experience so far).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this sounds harsh, it’s not wrong. However I have discovered gobies are much different and actually housing 12 or so in a nano (20g min id say) isn’t impossible.
12 different types though? That's the heart of the original question.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means 12 of the same species such as possibly eviotas, trimmas, or masked gobies as they stay so small and can be communal. 12 of different species of gobies in a nano would just be asking for deaths. But the core of this post is trying to figure out if the gobies I listed are as communal with each other as they are other species on the list. So far my Yasha Goby and Masked gobies are best friends so I imagine it can be possible with quite a few other species.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means 12 of the same species such as possibly eviotas, trimmas, or masked gobies as they stay so small and can be communal. 12 of different species of gobies in a nano would just be asking for deaths. But the core of this post is trying to figure out if the gobies I listed are as communal with each other as they are other species on the list. So far my Yasha Goby and Masked gobies are best friends so I imagine it can be possible with quite a few other species.
Yes, I completely understand that. I was trying to make the point to the person who posted the comment... They were answering a question you did not ask.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some gobies are fine with other gobies that don't look too much like them. Trimma and clown gobies, for example, should be fine together. They're both perching, but they aren't especially similar in body shape, and they aren't aggressive species.
Some other gobies will go after anything that looks even vaguely like them. Watchman gobies don't like other goby-shaped fish, usually.

Most of the teeny-tiny gobies should be fine with relatively dissimilar species. If they do disagree, it'll likely be just a little open-mouthed puff and posture, maybe chasing another goby off a favorite perch. Entirely workable in a tank with space and plenty of nice perches. The tank described earlier with the six different (adorable) species is a good example; none of those gobies are terribly similar to each other, and none of them are particularly aggressive.

So the answer is: are we talking nano or pico gobies? Nano gobies, it depends. Most are going to be fine with non-conspecifics, but watch out for the watchmen. Pico gobies, probably fine, if they're different shapes and all have some space. If we're asking about mixing a perching goby and a hovering goby, that's almost certainly going to be fine. I don't think a perching goby will even recognize a hovering goby as being another goby, let alone as competition.

A tank of 40 assorted pico gobies is... iffy. Maybe doable, depending on what you're doing. Most pico gobies are going to have issues with others of the same species, so you'd either want singles or mated pairs of those species. You'd also need plenty of space and lots of hiding places. The statement "you can have a tank with 40 gobies" is /technically/ correct? There are certainly some setups that would work, like if 35 of your gobies were masked gobies. But I don't think that's great advice to be giving without the clarification of "putting 40 random assorted gobies together is very likely to go horribly".

Oh, and since we had a mention of blennies: blennies that live in holes, like barnacle blennies, are going to be basically ignored by almost anything else. They usually ignore other fish as well, except conspecifics. The most they're likely to do is nip at something that tries to sit directly on them. Perching blennies may squabble with perching gobies, depending on the species of both and how similar they look to each other. And watch out for fangblennies! Venomous little buggers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some gobies are fine with other gobies that don't look too much like them. Trimma and clown gobies, for example, should be fine together. They're both perching, but they aren't especially similar in body shape, and they aren't aggressive species.
Some other gobies will go after anything that looks even vaguely like them. Watchman gobies don't like other goby-shaped fish, usually.

Most of the teeny-tiny gobies should be fine with relatively dissimilar species. If they do disagree, it'll likely be just a little open-mouthed puff and posture, maybe chasing another goby off a favorite perch. Entirely workable in a tank with space and plenty of nice perches. The tank described earlier with the six different (adorable) species is a good example; none of those gobies are terribly similar to each other, and none of them are particularly aggressive.

So the answer is: are we talking nano or pico gobies? Nano gobies, it depends. Most are going to be fine with non-conspecifics, but watch out for the watchmen. Pico gobies, probably fine, if they're different shapes and all have some space. If we're asking about mixing a perching goby and a hovering goby, that's almost certainly going to be fine. I don't think a perching goby will even recognize a hovering goby as being another goby, let alone as competition.

A tank of 40 assorted pico gobies is... iffy. Maybe doable, depending on what you're doing. Most pico gobies are going to have issues with others of the same species, so you'd either want singles or mated pairs of those species. You'd also need plenty of space and lots of hiding places. The statement "you can have a tank with 40 gobies" is /technically/ correct? There are certainly some setups that would work, like if 35 of your gobies were masked gobies. But I don't think that's great advice to be giving without the clarification of "putting 40 random assorted gobies together is very likely to go horribly".

Oh, and since we had a mention of blennies: blennies that live in holes, like barnacle blennies, are going to be basically ignored by almost anything else. They usually ignore other fish as well, except conspecifics. The most they're likely to do is nip at something that tries to sit directly on them. Perching blennies may squabble with perching gobies, depending on the species of both and how similar they look to each other. And watch out for fangblennies! Venomous little buggers.
That blenny part made me laugh and question one thing…
5D8CB506-6BCB-4959-9E95-ABD5F01E7CA1.jpeg

Is the linear blenny actually an aggressive species?
But that’s an entirely different question!
Also, Thankyou for the compliment of my tank it has taken a while to accomplish however I’m not quite done with gobies yet and do hope to find a pair of Eviota brahmi in the future.

The fact you were told it’s a no go is intriguing as I have actually managed all of those pairings before. Eviota and Trimma works like a treat as both are communal genera. Neons and Sharknose are less likely to work out however I have had it work before but there was some aggression.
Sorry, I should’ve clarified and yes I meant 12 of one genus. Although, you could get close to 12, probably around 9 different gobies as long as Atleast 2 of them are the same species and communal.
As I mentioned before, I will try to find a pair of E. brahmi and then maybe attempt a panda again however I’d finish my live stock there. That would take me up to 9 gobies unless I wait until my Yasha unfortunately passes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got these 2 and it’s honestly definitely possible. They’re best friends and don’t leave each other. 25 gal nuvo
8A350DF6-E609-4917-820A-D7FB71A72D27.jpeg
It’s definitely possible but with sharknose and neons they’re similar enough to not get along as well.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two masked gobies in a 13.5 fluval evo. They are very nice fish and apparently school in larger numbers. I am wondering if other species of nano gobies can be added together with no conflict. I would assume yes seeing how most of these smaller nano gobies are so docile/peaceful, but want to hear any experience from others.

List:

Red Striper (Trimma Cana)
Masked Goby (Coryphopterus personatus)
Neon Goby Fish (Elacatinus oceanops)
Clown Goby (Gobiodon)
White Spotted Goby (Trimma cf. caesiura)
Starry Goby (Asterropteryx semipunctatus)

goby1.jpeg
Might be too many gobies for that tank size. Do not get multiple similar gobies. There are a massive verity of gobies, so I would recommend looking around before coming to a more final list.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blenny part made me laugh and question one thing…
5D8CB506-6BCB-4959-9E95-ABD5F01E7CA1.jpeg

Is the linear blenny actually an aggressive species?
But that’s an entirely different question!
Also, Thankyou for the compliment of my tank it has taken a while to accomplish however I’m not quite done with gobies yet and do hope to find a pair of Eviota brahmi in the future.

The fact you were told it’s a no go is intriguing as I have actually managed all of those pairings before. Eviota and Trimma works like a treat as both are communal genera. Neons and Sharknose are less likely to work out however I have had it work before but there was some aggression.

Sorry, I should’ve clarified and yes I meant 12 of one genus. Although, you could get close to 12, probably around 9 different gobies as long as Atleast 2 of them are the same species and communal.
As I mentioned before, I will try to find a pair of E. brahmi and then maybe attempt a panda again however I’d finish my live stock there. That would take me up to 9 gobies unless I wait until my Yasha unfortunately passes.

I kight have to try Eviota's and Neon's or Sharknose. My tank is 24"x10"x10" length wise there is ample room for their own dwellings if need be.

Trimma's and Eviota's would be AMAZING I think.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back