Can EB outlets be controlled based on Trident alk readings?

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a DOS yet, but currently run my doser off of a controlled outlet on my EB so if I'm away from home I can turn off the outlet and stop the doser if the alk gets too high. Not perfect, but better than no control for now. I plan to get a DOS eventually for 2 part to pair with my trident for controlled dosing, but too many other expenses right now.

That being said, it is possible to automate the outlet my doser is plugged into to automatically shut off for 4 hours if the alk gets too high? I'm having some trouble figuring out how to get it programed on my own.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the Trident’s test results can be read in the programming just like any other input. The names are:

Alkx#
Cax#
Mgx#

where # is the AquaBus address of your Trident.

Example:

If Alkx6 > 9.50 Then OFF

The Alkx# reading remains static until the next scheduled test, so depending on your Trident testing frequency that could be up to 6 hours if you’re testing 4 times per day, or fewer hours if you’re testing more often. If you want your doser to stay off for only 4 hours, then you’d need to set up a virtual output to act as a timer once the Alkx# is high so the doser could resume even though Alkx# hasn’t changed yet from the next scheduled test.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back