Can fish get concussions?

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple Chromis from a local reefer who was breaking down his tank. Both fish look healthy but I saw one swimming on its side and letting the water carry it across the tank. I thought it had died because I couldn't find it for a few hours after getting home from work yesterday but was relieved when it appeared with the other chromis before lights out lastnight. This same fish is awfully skiddish and I've seen it get spooked and run into the glass before. So I'm wondering... could running into the glass at high speeds cause this kind of behavior? The other chromis is much more calm and seems completely happy and healthy.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That can cause trauma and even fatality. I’m not sure how a concussion (or comparable brain injury) would manifest itself in a fish.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know fish anatomy well enough but a concussion is caused by the brain hitting the skull. I know fish have skulls and that they have brains. I’m not sure if theirs is in a liquid like ours however but if it is they could probably get a concussion

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back