Can Glass and Acrylic join

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the acrylic will almost always fail when trying to connect to glass. I can’t remember why but I remember seeing it I believe in a BRS video

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work but you need a big big amount of silicone. Otherwise its not going to. You could try that aqua mesh stuff. Its basically a rigid foam

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've used acrylic to make baffles in a glass sump successfully and unsuccessfully.
I had one fail when I used 1/8" acrylic and regular silicone.
I've done a couple sumps that I had for several years using atleast 1/4" acrylic and Momentive RTV 103.
You have to get both sides siliconed in and allow it to dry for 3-4 days.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used acrylic to make baffles in a glass sump successfully and unsuccessfully.
I had one fail when I used 1/8" acrylic and regular silicone.
I've done a couple sumps that I had for several years using atleast 1/4" acrylic and Momentive RTV 103.
You have to get both sides siliconed in and allow it to dry for 3-4 days.
Noted. So need a few days curing

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my sump using a 75g tank and acrylic baffles. The acrylic has to have room to expand a little in between the glass. This is the silicone I used

Thank You for sharing

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sound like a broken record, and @Zach B has already pointed it out. If you use the right silicone and let it cure it will stick like grim death. It's readily available at HD, but not in the paint department with the other caulks. You have to go where they sell acrylic sheet goods (I thing the window department). The other issue is let it cure for as long as you can....three day minimum, but prefer five or more. I've used this silicone on all my glass/acrylic sumps and it works and is reef safe.

Silicone Plastic.jpg

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a clear adhesive called E6000 that has great adhesion to both glass and acrylic.

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sound like a broken record, and @Zach B has already pointed it out. If you use the right silicone and let it cure it will stick like grim death. It's readily available at HD, but not in the paint department with the other caulks. You have to go where they sell acrylic sheet goods (I thing the window department). The other issue is let it cure for as long as you can....three day minimum, but prefer five or more. I've used this silicone on all my glass/acrylic sumps and it works and is reef safe.

Silicone Plastic.jpg
Ok. Thank You for the additional detail.
I live in Singapore no sure if this is available

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeder convert into sump using a Fiji sump kit and Ge number 1 silicon. Gotta get 100 coverage with the seams and like a pervious reply stated let dry for 4 days or more. Mine waited a couple weeks while i drilled my 110 gallon and got my stand done. The sump buffles felt pretty solid and has been up and running for a couple of months now with no issues.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add Acrylic divider in my Glass Sump?
How to join both ? I try silicon the divider just detached itself
The silicone will bond to the glass but not acrylic. I have several scrubbers that have acrylic siliconed to glass. Caulk both sides of the acrylic and it will work fine for baffles in a sump. Acrylic to acrylic with silicone will fail.

OP
OP
Sherman

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank Y
40 gallon breeder convert into sump using a Fiji sump kit and Ge number 1 silicon. Gotta get 100 coverage with the seams and like a pervious reply stated let dry for 4 days or more. Mine waited a couple weeks while i drilled my 110 gallon and got my stand done. The sump buffles felt pretty solid and has been up and running for a couple of months now with no issues.
Thank You for sharing

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GE silicone posted above bonds to glass and acrylic... I've done quite a few sumps with it and have yet to have a baffle leak, let alone fail. You do need to leave room for the acrylic to expand so it does not crack the glass though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back