Can I add a tomini tang in my tank?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two long fin clownfish that are pretty small, maybe 1 - 1.25 inches long, and two filefish in my tank currently. I saw a very small tomini tang in my local fish store. Would it be safe to add the tang to this tank with the clownfish already established in the tank? I am concerned it will nip at them or something. thoughts?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Without that info no one can make a recommendation.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? How big is the tang?
well the tang i saw the at the store looked about 1.5 inches long. i have a 40 gallon tank. i was thinking of keeping it only for a little while and then give it away when it gets too big.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon, I planned on keeping it until it got too big and then giving it away.
You should be fine. Just remember, for as much algae as a tang eats it will give the nutrients right back. They are dirty fish. Also, catching fish sucks so that is always something to consider anytime you add a species short term.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. Just remember, for as much algae as a tang eats it will give the nutrients right back. They are dirty fish. Also, catching fish sucks so that is always something to consider anytime you add a species short term.
okay so do you thing it will cause my nitrates and other nutrients to rise in the long run? unless i keep doing water changes or have a refugium?
the only thing i was worried about would be agression towards my clownfish.
yeah that is the downside to adding fish and then having to take them out. but what I usually do is completely drain my tank and only leave a few inches of water in the tank and then it is much easier to catch them. its a lot of work but its worth it.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so do you thing it will cause my nitrates and other nutrients to rise in the long run? unless i keep doing water changes or have a refugium?
the only thing i was worried about would be agression towards my clownfish.
yeah that is the downside to adding fish and then having to take them out. but what I usually do is completely drain my tank and only leave a few inches of water in the tank and then it is much easier to catch them. its a lot of work but its worth it.
I would not be concerned about aggression right now as all of these fish are pretty small. As the clownfish get bigger and become breeding adults it's possible they could become very territorial. As the tang gets bigger and becomes an adult it's likely it will become aggressive in tight quarters. It's too hard to say when that will happen, but in this size tank eventually it will happen. Right now it's highly unlikely there would be any issues. Of course there's no guarantees in this hobby and if you're not quarantining fish you're taking a risk of wiping out your fish and having to fallow the tank. If you play the parasite management game, fish fighting active infection are often much more aggressive as they are irritated. I only mention this as an aside.

As for nutrients, a tang must be fed nori. Nori is algae. Tangs have a big appetite and consequently produce a lot of waste. I am not saying this species is going to immediately give you nutrient issues, but it will be adding significantly more to the bioload than most species that would be recommended for a 36x18 inch tank. It's just something that needs to be taken into consideration in the future.

Last edited:

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I would not be concerned about aggression right now as all of these fish are pretty small. As the clownfish get bigger and become breeding adults it's possible they could become very territorial. As the tang gets bigger and becomes an adult it's likely it will become aggressive in tight quarters. It's too hard to say when that will happen, but in this size tank eventually it will happen. Right now it's highly unlikely there would be any issues. Of course there's no guarantees in this hobby and if you're not quarantining fish you're taking a risk of wiping out your fish and having to fallow the tank. If you play the parasite management game, fish fighting active infection are often much more aggressive as they are irritated. I only mention this as and aside.

As for nutrients, a tang must be fed nori. Nori is algae. Tangs have a big appetite and consequently produce a lot of waste. I am not saying this species is going to immediately give you nutrient issues, but it will be adding significantly more to the bioload than most species that would be recommended for a 36x18 inch tank. It's just something that needs to be taken into consideration in the future.

I wouldn't get it. I upgraded from a 30g long to a 125 6 ft. I have a 4 inch blue and yellow tang, and dang they produce a lot of big poop. Unless you got a refugium, I wouldn't do it unless you wanna deal with high nitrates. Like the guy above, they constantly want to eat. I was offering nori every other day, plus LRS/PE Mysis every day, and my yellow tang had a pinched in stomach. I had to feed nori everyday, sometimes twice a day, plus frozen every day to get enough nutrition.

Trust me, you don't want to buy a fish, quarantine it, take care of it, to have to give it away. Yeah, you might upgrade later down the road, but buy it then if that's the case.

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine tomoni are one of the smaller tangs and I’ve only seen them be aggressive towards other tangs. You definitely can’t have more then one. Get one quarter size and he’ll last some time

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised how dirty tangs can be. Removed powder blue and now struggle keeping nutrients. He was so food driven I put the trap in the tank with food and caught him within 2 minutes. Others not so easy to catch

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back