Can I add more wrasse to my tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 5 wrasse established in a 4x2x2 tank, would it be okay to add another 1-2 in?
the wrasse already in there are: 2 Lubbock’s (I got told they would be fine together and have been fine together for the past 4 days), 1 Australian Scott’s, radiant, and a Jade wrasse and a naoko still in a grow out tank the wrasse I want to try have a go at is a flasher and/or anampses/leopard wrasse in total there is already 7-8 fish in the tank

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 5 wrasse established in a 4x2x2 tank, would it be okay to add another 1-2 in?
the wrasse already in there are: 2 Lubbock’s (I got told they would be fine together and have been fine together for the past 4 days), 1 Australian Scott’s, radiant, and a Jade wrasse and a naoko still in a grow out tank the wrasse I want to try have a go at is a flasher and/or anampses/leopard wrasse in total there is already 7-8 fish in the tank
Welcome to R2R!

Skip the flasher wrasse, the Scott's will give it hell. With your current stock I would go with anampses and/or macropharyngodon. Make sure you use an acclimation box when you introduce your new wrasse(s) you've got a few aggressive wrasses.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Skip the flasher wrasse, the Scott's will give it hell. With your current stock I would go with anampses and/or macropharyngodon. Make sure you use an acclimation box when you introduce your new wrasse(s) you've got a few aggressive wrasses.
Okay, Thanks for the advice and yeah, there are aggressive wrasse in there two of the wrasses in the anampses genus have caught my eye and I’ve seen multiple of them in my LFS because they focus on the more “needy” fish. I only see two types of leopard wrasse pop up in the LFS unfortunately because I’d love to see the more “exotic” species in person

I think the main issue with having the more finicky eaters such as Anampses and Leopards is how I have 2 wrasse that peck on the LR daily and also having a CB in my tank (Although the CB is a pig) I guess it just depends on having a leopard wrasse or Anampses wrasse that’s already eating

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Thanks for the advice and yeah, there are aggressive wrasse in there two of the wrasses in the anampses genus have caught my eye and I’ve seen multiple of them in my LFS because they focus on the more “needy” fish. I only see two types of leopard wrasse pop up in the LFS unfortunately because I’d love to see the more “exotic” species in person

I think the main issue with having the more finicky eaters such as Anampses and Leopards is how I have 2 wrasse that peck on the LR daily and also having a CB in my tank (Although the CB is a pig) I guess it just depends on having a leopard wrasse or Anampses wrasse that’s already eating
If you can find an anampses or leopard already eating prepared foods that's definitely the way to go.

Upvote 0

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My leopard is eating frozen and pellet. I think it helps if you provide a bunch of food at the beginning. It will copy other fish. It was shy at first so I would dump a bunch of food when it comes out for a few hours a day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find an anampses or leopard already eating prepared foods that's definitely the way to go.
My leopard is eating frozen and pellet. I think it helps if you provide a bunch of food at the beginning. It will copy other fish. It was shy at first so I would dump a bunch of food when it comes out for a few hours a day.
Thanks for the tips! I might try and get a femininus and maybe also a leopard (I really like the choati and blacks) I regret adding the Scott’s wrasse in before the fairy wrasse, I only got the Scott’s because the LFS rarely gets fish come in from Australia let alone the Scott’s wrasse and it was a fish I wanted for a while, it’s a shame I can’t get any flashers in the tank because some of them are filled with colour

Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! I might try and get a femininus and maybe also a leopard (I really like the choati and blacks) I regret adding the Scott’s wrasse in before the fairy wrasse, I only got the Scott’s because the LFS rarely gets fish come in from Australia let alone the Scott’s wrasse and it was a fish I wanted for a while, it’s a shame I can’t get any flashers in the tank because some of them are filled with colour
The Scott's colors will fade over time so you're going to end up with a dull, aggressive food hog lol. You may consider giving him back to your LFS so you can have more options. I've never had a choati, but I have a black leopard and a femininus and I highly recommend that they have peaceful tankmates to ensure their longevity.

Upvote 0

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can add few more wrasses without any problem. I have 3 fairy from same complex (rhomboid, Lineatus, and pink margin). They get along just fine. I have labouti that is very peaceful (some people say labout is aggressive). I have diamond tail flasher and flame wrasse that are fighting at the night time. I also have pintail wrasse who is bottom of the pack, 5 different kind of leopard, and radiant wrasse. My tank is around 145 gallon. I guess what I’m trying to say is that you don’t know until you try it! You definitely have the space for more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can add few more wrasses without any problem. I have 3 fairy from same complex (rhomboid, Lineatus, and pink margin). They get along just fine. I have labouti that is very peaceful (some people say labout is aggressive). I have diamond tail flasher and flame wrasse that are fighting at the night time. I also have pintail wrasse who is bottom of the pack, 5 different kind of leopard, and radiant wrasse. My tank is around 145 gallon. I guess what I’m trying to say is that you don’t know until you try it! You definitely have the space for more.
True, I could try it, there’s a Foxface and spot breast angelfish in the tank (I know there’s a 5ft diagonal print on the tank) although by the time they’re max size chances are they will be in a 5x2x2 tank, I love all the wrasse too much haha, if I could redo the tank I think I would get rid of the blue eye kole tang and maybe the Angel just so I could have a ton of wrasse

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 4 more wrasse push the tank limit? I have a naoko Thats waiting to go into the tank already then a flasher (if it works) but then I would love an anampses and leopard

Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 4 more wrasse push the tank limit? I have a naoko Thats waiting to go into the tank already then a flasher (if it works) but then I would love an anampses and leopard
You have room for more wrasses. I have 11 in my 90g. As long as there's enough sleeping areas for everyone and you choose wrasses that will get along long-term you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Scott's colors will fade over time so you're going to end up with a dull, aggressive food hog lol. You may consider giving him back to your LFS so you can have more options. I've never had a choati, but I have a black leopard and a femininus and I highly recommend that they have peaceful tankmates to ensure their longevity.
Yeah, the Scott’s has already lost a lot of its colour, it just has a red & orange anal fin with a tiny bit of red in his dorsal fin, he’s still pretty just unfortunately not at his biggest potential

Is there any wrasse that would be able to be kept in the tank with him that isn’t a Halichoeres or Cirrhilabrus?

Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the Scott’s has already lost a lot of its colour, it just has a red & orange anal fin with a tiny bit of red in his dorsal fin, he’s still pretty just unfortunately not at his biggest potential

Is there any wrasse that would be able to be kept in the tank with him that isn’t a Halichoeres or Cirrhilabrus?
I've seen A. neoguinaicus and M. ornatus kept successfully with a Scott's in a large tank. I think your tank is large enough.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen A. neoguinaicus and M. ornatus kept successfully with a Scott's in a large tank. I think your tank is large enough.
Oo, thanks! I’ve seen females of the A. neoguinaicus in my LFS and they’re ever so pretty, I think I’ve seen one maybe two M. ornatus in the LFS too so I may try get one as long as it eats

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are ornate leopards known to be hard to keep as far as leopard wrasse go? I’ve never owned a leopard wrasse but I have worked around the blue stars and some anampses wrasses that are hard to keep such as femininus and phsychedelic (females)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find much information on M. ornatus so should I give it similar care as to what an M. bipartus would need or what an M. choati would need?

Upvote 0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you use an acclimation box when you introduce your new wrasse(s) you've got a few aggressive wrasses.
I have 3 yellow wrasses, 1 M. bipartus and 1 yellow banded possum wrasse in a 80 gallon together wit around 45 more fish. I use my refugium as an acclimation box and it works perfect when I add new fish. Newcomers will be in the refugium for at least a week - often 2 - 3 weeks. Lot of hiding places, pods and spill over of food when I feed the DT. This has worked like a dream - the wrasses (and other aggressive fish) do not bother at all when I introduce newcomers. The old fish do not see the newcomers before introduction in the DT - it is enough that they have been in the same water for a while (smell ?) An acclimation box can work too and it not need to be transparent - just the you get the same water. If you use a QT - just do WC with help of the old DT water rather often during the last 2 weeks of QT.

I think that this is the most important step to take when you introduce new fish in order to prevent bulling, stress and diseases

Sincerely lasse

Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 yellow wrasses, 1 M. bipartus and 1 yellow banded possum wrasse in a 80 gallon together wit around 45 more fish. I use my refugium as an acclimation box and it works perfect when I add new fish. Newcomers will be in the refugium for at least a week - often 2 - 3 weeks. Lot of hiding places, pods and spill over of food when I feed the DT. This has worked like a dream - the wrasses (and other aggressive fish) do not bother at all when I introduce newcomers. The old fish do not see the newcomers before introduction in the DT - it is enough that they have been in the same water for a while (smell ?) An acclimation box can work too and it not need to be transparent - just the you get the same water. If you use a QT - just do WC with help of the old DT water rather often during the last 2 weeks of QT.

I think that this is the most important step to take when you introduce new fish in order to prevent bulling, stress and diseases

Sincerely lasse
Thanks for sharing your experience, Lasse!
You are one of my favorite contributors to this forum - Tara

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back