Can I Bean Animal my tank?

BigMan87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my tank is already drilled with overflow boxes. I have 2 internal O/F boxes with 2 holes in each. Now, my question is, can I run Bean Animal like it is, and if so, how? Or should I try to replace my existing boxes with the internal/external boxes that have the 3 holes drilled in the bottom of the external box? Not sure if I can do that, haven't measured the holes in the glass and compared to the holes in the box kit. Sorry for the messy garage in the pics.

full

full

full

full

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could. Use one hole for return, or pipe your return over the edge. Use #1 hole for main drain, #2 for emergency drain. In the other over flow, #3 trickle drain, and #4 return. This will keep both overflows turning over so that one doesn’t become stagnant. Personally I would do this: #1 main drain full siphon, #2 return. #4 return, and #3 hole trickle drain but plumb it like and emergency. Straight pipe to the sump, cut off just above the water line. If the main becomes blocked this drain will quickly go to full siphon and drain the display. If you get a Varios return pump they come with a switch you can installed where you like, put it in the second overflow and if it ever fills up the switch will shut off the pump. This will act as your third safety.

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could. Use one hole for return, or pipe your return over the edge. Use #1 hole for main drain, #2 for emergency drain. In the other over flow, #3 trickle drain, and #4 return. This will keep both overflows turning over so that one doesn’t become stagnant. Personally I would do this: #1 main drain full siphon, #2 return. #4 return, and #3 hole trickle drain but plumb it like and emergency. Straight pipe to the sump, cut off just above the water line. If the main becomes blocked this drain will quickly go to full siphon and drain the display. If you get a Varios return pump they come with a switch you can installed where you like, put it in the second overflow and if it ever fills up the switch will shut off the pump. This will act as your third safety.

The tank already has 2 return holes drilled outside the O/F boxes.. So, I have 4 holes for drainage to sump.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank already has 2 return holes drilled outside the O/F boxes.. So, I have 4 holes for drainage to sump.

Each overflow you can have a full siphon, then the others make one a trickle and another emergency. How much flow are you going to have through the system and what size are the holes?

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'e 1inch holes for drain and 3/4 for return. Total flow will be about 5k gph, but I only plan on pushing about 1k through the sump.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'e 1inch holes for drain and 3/4 for return. Total flow will be about 5k gph, but I only plan on pushing about 1k through the sump.

Ok, so you plan to push 1,000 gph through 2 3/4” return lines, correct? Sounds ok to me, and the drains being 1” will have no problem keeping up.

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's the plan.

When I fit the fittings:

The 2 main siphons are 90° elbows facing down, 1 in each O/F box. Let's say hole #1 & #3.

Another 90 with an air hole in the top, facing down, #2.

The last 90 facing up, acting as the emergency overflow, #4?

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my sump has only 2 holes for drains, not 3, so can I tie my 2 main siphons together? That way I can have 1 hole for main siphon, another for secondary siphon, and then plumb the emergency drain to a shallower area of the sump to make noise.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use an fittings at the top of your drain stand pipes. Since they are full siphon don’t need them to muffle noise. The other drains are emergency/trickle Drain so you should get any noise from them. Put your two main drains into the sumps holes, the others just plump straight down into the sump a few inches above water so that if they go full siphons in an emergency you will hear them slashing rushing water into the sump.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set the stand pipes for the full siphons about half way up the over flow. The trickle emergency drains will 1, be the final control of the water in overflow so you want them up near the top so the water in the overflow is near the top. This reduces splashing as water flows into it. Don’t make the two emergency drains same height, one can be used to take the trickle flow, other for real emergency. Full siphons flow more effectively/faster, you will need a gate vale not a ball valve on each. No valves on the other two, unless you really want to.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back