Can I keep a green moray with a tessalata?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 gallon aquarium so I thought of keeping a tessalata with a green moray i mean ofc I am gonna need a bigger aquarium when these guys grow but I do know they grow slow about a few inches a year. The tessalata is about 30 inches and I ordered a green moray which is probably gonna be about the same size or a bit bigger

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do some searches on R2R for "eels".
You are right! And I did but it's not a species specific it's mainly tessalata with a zibra or tessalata with a banana moray but I haven't seen any thread with a green moray and a tessalata, sorry i guess I just like to be careful

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a about a foot or more a year, this may be one of the reason they never seem to live long in hobbyist tanks. They are likely being gravely underfed if you think a few inches a year is a good metric of growth. These two would be just as compatible as any other fang tooths providing they were in a large enough tank with multiple dens and areas for both to establish territory. You likely won't find much on the green moray as I stated earlier, they don't live that long in most hobbyisrt tank. Be prepared to upsize your tank pretty quickly and be prepared to feed alot, that 210g will likely not last long if you are feeding enough. Another thing to watch for is internal parasites, if they refuse food, be prepared to treat with general cure.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Try a about a foot or more a year, this may be one of the reason they never seem to live long in hobbyist tanks. They are likely being gravely underfed if you think a few inches a year is a good metric of growth. These two would be just as compatible as any other fang tooths providing they were in a large enough tank with multiple dens and areas for both to establish territory. You likely won't find much on the green moray as I stated earlier, they don't live that long in most hobbyisrt tank. Be prepared to upsize your tank pretty quickly and be prepared to feed alot, that 210g will likely not last long if you are feeding enough. Another thing to watch for is internal parasites, if they refuse food, be prepared to treat with general cure
Th
Try a about a foot or more a year, this may be one of the reason they never seem to live long in hobbyist tanks. They are likely being gravely underfed if you think a few inches a year is a good metric of growth. These two would be just as compatible as any other fang tooths providing they were in a large enough tank with multiple dens and areas for both to establish territory. You likely won't find much on the green moray as I stated earlier, they don't live that long in most hobbyisrt tank. Be prepared to upsize your tank pretty quickly and be prepared to feed alot, that 210g will likely not last long if you are feeding enough. Another thing to watch for is internal parasites, if they refuse food, be prepared to treat with general cure.
Thanks so much for the info! I feed my current tessalata squid, tilapia and shrimp i fuse them with multivitamins and algae wafers as soon as I started adding algae wafers my eel seemed more active and he eats about every 4 days or so I don't feed him much since he tends to vomit out the excess food I heard from multiple hobbiests that they grow about a few inches every year so I believed them since there wasn't much info about that in other sites so I do hope I would be able to take care of a green moray since they look so cool and I love eels

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And about the issue with internal parasites I thought of using a 4 or 5 inch molly and feeding it with pellets soaked in methylene blue and then feed the molly to the eel what are your thoughts on that?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And about the issue with internal parasites I thought of using a 4 or 5 inch molly and feeding it with pellets soaked in methylene blue and then feed the molly to the eel what are your thoughts on that?

Eels are very sensitive to any chemical exposure, I would not expose them to methylene blue. If they refuse food and you suspect internal parasites, you treat with general cure in the water column, dosed to water volume not tank size.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Th

Thanks so much for the info! I feed my current tessalata squid, tilapia and shrimp i fuse them with multivitamins and algae wafers as soon as I started adding algae wafers my eel seemed more active and he eats about every 4 days or so I don't feed him much since he tends to vomit out the excess food I heard from multiple hobbiests that they grow about a few inches every year so I believed them since there wasn't much info about that in other sites so I do hope I would be able to take care of a green moray since they look so cool and I love eels
@lion king s statement on eels is likely the most accurate. He has several published articles on r2r as well as caring for many predatory fish including eels. Theres a lot of conflicting info about eels and growth rates as I found out when researching my two eels. But the advice from @lion king is the best Ive ever gotten and he is very knowledgable. I would trust his advice 100% over other reefers as many keep eels but dont find long term success with them but @lion king has a very good track record of caring for difficult fish such as eels, lions and other predatory fish. He helped advise me multiple times on compatible eels and helped me save an eel who was shipped to me from the seller in very bad shape. @Slocke is another great eel guy, he has 3 eels in his tank I believe.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I only have about 1 year experience caring for the Indian mud moray and 4 months for the tessalata which isn't a long time I did understand a lot about them thanks to the Indian mud moray and the tessalata but I do believe that there are different requirements for each eel especially the differences between fangtooth and plate like teeth for different types of food which fascinated me

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels are very sensitive to any chemical exposure, I would not expose them to methylene blue. If they refuse food and you suspect internal parasites, you treat with general cure in the water column, dosed to water volume not tank size.
The general cure medications we get here are coloured blue so my first thought that it was methylene blue unless you mean from a specific company?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I had also used methylene blue for the Indian mud moray since it wasn't eating for a few days and it worked and whilest the methylene blue was in the water column the eel was more active so i took it from that

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general cure medications we get here are coloured blue so my first thought that it was methylene blue unless you mean from a specific company?

The product I am talking about is API General Cure which is a mixture of Metronidazole and praziquental. Personally I do not recommend another treatments with the exception of an antibiotic in extreme cases of an infection.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product I am talking about is API General Cure which is a mixture of Metronidazole and praziquental. Personally I do not recommend another treatments with the exception of an antibiotic in extreme cases of an infection.
I searched the product from api but I couldn't find it at my place neither online since literally all was sold out or out of stock so I thought of getting tablets for them, I ended up finding a metronidazole tablet with excipients being q.s and no colours just 200mg of metronidazole but as for praziquantel I only ended up finding it with pyrantel pamoate which I am not sure if it's good for the eel would be it ok just using metronidazole or do I have to use it with praziquantel?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched the product from api but I couldn't find it at my place neither online since literally all was sold out or out of stock so I thought of getting tablets for them, I ended up finding a metronidazole tablet with excipients being q.s and no colours just 200mg of metronidazole but as for praziquantel I only ended up finding it with pyrantel pamoate which I am not sure if it's good for the eel would be it ok just using metronidazole or do I have to use it with praziquantel?
Or should I use levamisole hydrochloride to replace praziquantel? Because i found a research which says it does kill most internal worms and I had also found a tablet with excipients being q.s and the tablet being uncoated

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should I use levamisole hydrochloride to replace praziquantel? Because i found a research which says it does kill most internal worms and I had also found a tablet with excipients being q.s and the tablet being uncoated

While you will find others that will indiscriminately dose many things with eels, I do not recommend any thing other than what I have already mentioned. General cure works very well and it is 500mg of metronidazole and 150mg of praziquantel. Another product with this very effective mixture is Fritz Paracleanse. You can do an observation and if eating well and no signs of lethargy, you could skip treatment, prophylactic treatment is not necessary. GC/FP covers the broadest range of possible parasites, dosing metro alone is better than risking exposure of an unknown chemical. Many will dose meds and the eel does survive treatment, but will die unexpectantly some time later, sometimes as long as a year. Some meds will damage internal organs and it takes time for the organs to fail. Praziquantel is found in a popular product called PraziPro. Metro is very effective on intestinal worms.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you will find others that will indiscriminately dose many things with eels, I do not recommend any thing other than what I have already mentioned. General cure works very well and it is 500mg of metronidazole and 150mg of praziquantel. Another product with this very effective mixture is Fritz Paracleanse. You can do an observation and if eating well and no signs of lethargy, you could skip treatment, prophylactic treatment is not necessary. GC/FP covers the broadest range of possible parasites, dosing metro alone is better than risking exposure of an unknown chemical. Many will dose meds and the eel does survive treatment, but will die unexpectantly some time later, sometimes as long as a year. Some meds will damage internal organs and it takes time for the organs to fail. Praziquantel is found in a popular product called PraziPro. Metro is very effective on intestinal worms.
Thank you so much for the info! If i don't find prazipro or general cure I will probably just use metro maybe about every 3 to 5 months because i read about a thread about you explaining how some of your lionfish or eels suddenly stopped eating a few months later even after eating well, so that's why I want to be safe and probably soak some shrimp or tilapia in some metro and feed the moray every 3 or 2 months or so because I got lionfish for the first time before and he immediately started eating frozen food after getting acclimated and literally after about 2 or 3 months he suddenly stopped eating and sadly passed away I was devastated and searched everywhere on why it happened before he stopped eating he would eat food and spit it out for no reason and one day he just stopped accepting food so yeah your story lines up quite a bit with it so thanks once again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back