Can I remove this?????

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to remove this center piece...has anyone done this or any advice if this will hurt the interpreting of the tank?

Thank you!!
image.jpg

OP
OP
Gilbert50

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately that was my thought too! I was trying to DIY a single top, but looks like I will need to make 2 separate tops. No big deal!!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to remove it because it is black you will need to replace it with something else like a piece of plexi that you will have to plastic weld in or make some sort of pegs or nylon screws. The Center Support makes sure the tank doesn't bow at all as the rimmed tanks arent built quite as well (Thinner glass) as Rimless. At least those are simply my opinions/thoughts.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gilbert50 if You are doing the screen tops let me know and I can print any custom pieces you may need to go around anything. or if its just square you can get away with simple corners from Home depot or lowes like these:

I have a thread started here if you need any examples. Simply trying to help out!

OP
OP
Gilbert50

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to remove it because it is black you will need to replace it with something else like a piece of plexi that you will have to plastic weld in or make some sort of pegs or nylon screws. The Center Support makes sure the tank doesn't bow at all as the rimmed tanks arent built quite as well (Thinner glass) as Rimless. At least those are simply my opinions/thoughts.

I wanted to remove it so I could place a single mesh top. I will be purchasing another light so not to worried about the color. Thanks for the advice Dirks!

OP
OP
Gilbert50

Gilbert50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gilbert50 if You are doing the screen tops let me know and I can print any custom pieces you may need to go around anything. or if its just square you can get away with simple corners from Home depot or lowes like these:

I have a thread started here if you need any examples. Simply trying to help out!

Sounds great! Do you have a source for back mesh? I’ve read the clear reflects a lot of light.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! Do you have a source for back mesh? I’ve read the clear reflects a lot of light.

You know what you can also get that at either Home Depot or whatever Hardware store you use. I havent had any issues at all with the nice clear stuff. I use this as it will give you the rest of the parts you need as well such as the spline andspline roller :

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider actually using a 4 piece screen top. My reasoning is this: Using a narrow back section allows you to route power head cords up through it so that that section can stay in place unless you need to remove the PH for cleaning. A small slit in the mesh to push the cord through is all it takes, and it will almost completely self seal around the cord for you. The front sections can be made larger to fill the rest of the open space but are then easily removable for water change day. That's how I did mine and I find it very easy to use that way.

60Htf6tm.jpg

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider actually using a 4 piece screen top. My reasoning is this: Using a narrow back section allows you to route power head cords up through it so that that section can stay in place unless you need to remove the PH for cleaning. A small slit in the mesh to push the cord through is all it takes, and it will almost completely self seal around the cord for you. The front sections can be made larger to fill the rest of the open space but are then easily removable for water change day. That's how I did mine and I find it very easy to use that way.

60Htf6tm.jpg
Would love more pics!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back