Can I use a led light that grows plants for my reef tank?!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dk if this is dumb but my Kessler lights went down after 6 years I have this huge nice viperspectra led light that Ivd used before to grow “tomatoes”... will this work? I don’t see how it can be different right? Plants and corals both grow with light ?? This light cost me a heavy penny btw any info ty! Because I’m moving in a week and bugging out things are dying quick

Attachments

• IMG_4690.MOV
    5.8 MB
OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 227

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but plant lights have a whole lot more red and a whole lot less blue. I bet some things would grow under it, but results may not be as expected.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is no. Plant lights generally have a more red/yellow spectrum, while reef lights are more blue. Where corals evolved to grow, generally only the blue spectrum of sunlight penetrates that deep, so they’ve evolved to require blue spectrum lighting. Now, some corals from shallower waters will do better with whiter light (white being all spectrums), but even at 10ft, the vast majority of the lighting that penetrates that deep is blue. Using plant lights on your reef will encourage algae growth, but won’t do much for your corals (they might survive, but they won’t grow much and their color will likely brown out). I would leave the plant like for the ‘tomatoes’ and get a proper light for the reef (a reef spectrum viparspectra light is only like $100).

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use it for your refugium. Most corals are tuned to a different spectrum of light because the water absorbs red wavelengths faster than it absorbs blue, so marine organisms like bluer light. And also, you won't get as much flourescent "pop" with that light since it's not pushing that 450nm peak. If you turned it up, it'll grow coral, but you'll also have tons of algae issues.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that sucks since I just got my first home and legit can’t afford lights at the moment I thought that old light would of worked

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know of a case where someone has tried to do this?
Ive used 6500k halides and fluorescents but never plant leds I imagine if they're the optimal spectrum for plants they are 6500k to 5500k on the lower end. Red is important for flowering but well blended light is best for vegetative growth. 6500k is perfect for shallow water coral. I think people may be a little mislead from the makers of 1000+ dollar LED panels. At one point everyone used 5500k halides that were meant for plants.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I've used state of the art quantum board grow lights for a few days over my fuge which had a few corals in there. Replacement couldn't come fast enough.
Three days isn’t long enough to answer anything really, except that the coral reacted to the light changing.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I've used state of the art quantum board grow lights for a few days over my fuge which had a few corals in there. Replacement couldn't come fast enough.
Most of the quantum board grow lights are 4000k and meant for flower a 6500k for veg would be better. I imagine things would struggle under 4000k and look gross.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also put it where it’s all blue lights no other colors it has a bunch of different color bulbs

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m gonna try it out because I have no choice I’m not buying a 1000 dollar light I can’t at the moment houses in ny will do that to you...anyways I’m gonna try and use it I hope I don’t loose 5 grand worth of coral wish me luck fellas I’ll be back in a week with update

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back