Can I use human prescribed 500mg cipro HCL to treat my nem in display tank ?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO. That is a violation of several laws of appication.

NEver the less, I would and have seen this done and Cipro is Cipro. make sure you dose it properly for best results!
IMG_3040.jpeg

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before jumping to conclusions and contributing to the over use of antibiotics let's do some homework.

How old is the tank?

Have a full tank shot? Have a white light shot of the nem?

Parameters? Lighting?

Using RoDi?

How long have you had this anemone and was it shipped?

There are tons of things that it could be before medication is necessary. If all else fails, cipro should be done in a 5 or 10g tank, not 70.
I would like to sincerely suggest you follow this mans advice. I've been reefing for over 10 years myself, and I've never once encountered someone or myself having to dose antibiotics for an anemone issue. I'm willing to bet you have something else going on.

I would also highly suggest if you do decide to still dose cipro, do it in a separate tank. There's plenty of logical reasoning behind not dosing antibiotics willy nilly, especially to a 3 year old established 70G.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In answer to the op's concern ..you can use the whole 500 mg pill ..I just dosed a 75 gal DT with cipro not long ago..I used 5- 500 mg pills / day ...supposed to be 1-500mg / 20 gals..My dosage did not affect anything negatively .. do large water changes every night before you dose

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should I use half 250 or whole 500 ? I know I dose every other day and do I do water changes in between ? I’m on the moonshine so I normally do not do water changes ? Thanks for not being rude and any info
1. First the 'human' to which the cipro was prescribed should have probably used the whole bottle. And as others have said - it's illegal for them to give it to you.
2. Are you sure the medication is not past the expiration date.
3. Using a tablet is different than using the actual drug.
4. It should always be used in a separate tank. Cipro is quickly affected by any light, and probably will be affected by all of the things in the tank. It may also affect your bio filter.
5. Before using any medication, make sure you have a diagnosis. As others have already mentioned.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could pick up a Five or Ten Gallon tank cheap at PetCo. Just need a small air pump, and some air stones. Get your water from your 70 Gallon, for water changes. Also people give them away, check with your family, friends and neighbors, have them form a network. Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, and a local reef club, are other places to look. Set the temporary tank on the Kitchen Counter, Washing Machine Top, or any other water resistant top.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nem has been declining for several months I think a bacterial infection is unlikely. It would have either fought it off or died in that length of time. Sometimes certain things don’t do well in a tank for no obvious reason. I have a tank that for some reason I have yet to figure out bta’s just shrivel away over time like yours is doing. I can keep a mag or gig in it, but not a bta. The medication itself is fine to use, but I would be honestly shocked if it helped in any way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back