Can I use human prescribed 500mg cipro HCL to treat my nem in display tank ?

carilynn11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wanting info on using cipro. I have 500mg CIPRO HCL, is it safe to dose my display. I believe my bubble tip is suffering from a bacterial infection. My tank is 70 gallons. This tank is my pride and joy and would absolutely be devastated if I caused any harm to it. I do not have a QT set up at this time. My nem has been shrinking for couple of months. Thanks for any info including dosing and reassurance that I can use human cipro for this, thanks

image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
C

carilynn11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO. That is a violation of several laws of appication.

NEver the less, I would and have seen this done and Cipro is Cipro. make sure you dose it properly for best results!
Well can you plz advise the proper dosage ? Tank is 70 gallons ?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer : I did not read the article. This may help out

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before jumping to conclusions and contributing to the over use of antibiotics let's do some homework.

How old is the tank?

Have a full tank shot? Have a white light shot of the nem?

Parameters? Lighting?

Using RoDi?

How long have you had this anemone and was it shipped?

There are tons of things that it could be before medication is necessary. If all else fails, cipro should be done in a 5 or 10g tank, not 70.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had to treat any of my RBTA's (30 years worth never saw a bacterial infection) with anything and not sure cipro is the answer. I'm prone to suspect other non bacterial things are wrong. Now for Euphyllia all I can say is cipro is a miracle cure for BJD. When I first started with Euphyllia I lost some to BJD. Now I have something like 30 perfectly healthy pieces and have not lost a piece since I treated the tank. I mix 2 500mg tabs in 100ml of RODI and dose 10ml a day for 10 days in my 200 w/32g sump based on estimated actual volume (lots of rock). And hey you can buy "fish" antibiotics like cipro, amoxicillin etc. which are made in the US by the same manufacturers that make human generics so I would not be concerned about the technicality of using a "human" version which is no different. If you are going to treat the BTA in something smaller keep in mind it has to support the nem for 8-10 days.

OP
OP
C

carilynn11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes bro absolutely you could use it. I’ve also use amoxicillin. It works very well.
Should I use half 250 or whole 500 ? I know I dose every other day and do I do water changes in between ? I’m on the moonshine so I normally do not do water changes ? Thanks for not being rude and any info

OP
OP
C

carilynn11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had to treat any of my RBTA's (30 years worth never saw a bacterial infection) with anything and not sure cipro is the answer. I'm prone to suspect other non bacterial things are wrong. Now for Euphyllia all I can say is cipro is a miracle cure for BJD. When I first started with Euphyllia I lost some to BJD. Now I have something like 30 perfectly healthy pieces and have not lost a piece since I treated the tank. I mix 2 500mg tabs in 100ml of RODI and dose 10ml a day for 10 days in my 200 w/32g sump based on estimated actual volume (lots of rock). And hey you can buy "fish" antibiotics like cipro, amoxicillin etc. which are made in the US by the same manufacturers that make human generics so I would not be concerned about the technicality of using a "human" version which is no different. If you are going to treat the BTA in something smaller keep in mind it has to support the nem for 8-10 days.
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it !

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose the whole pill bro, and you could also add some Chemi Clean that will help to, but you need to do a water change in 48 hours after your dose

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use half 250 or whole 500 ? I know I dose every other day and do I do water changes in between ? I’m on the moonshine so I normally do not do water changes ? Thanks for not being rude and any info
I would answer some of my questions posted earlier before jumping to medication. As for treatment nems are always done in smaller tanks over the course of about a week. With water changes throughout and reapplication. I'll tag some others for the correct method as I have never had to treat a BTA either.

@Lost in the Sauce @Rtaylor @Eagle_Steve

OP
OP
C

carilynn11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was not a RB
Dose the whole pill bro, and you could also add some Chemi Clean that will help to, but you need to do a water change in 48 hours after your dose
thank you !!!

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I keep saying, bro I just noticed your name I usually never look at the names just the headings of the posts

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it !
BTW I dose every night and turn skimmer off until next morning. Carbon is removed for the duration. Water changes are not absolutely necessary, and I just do a 40g change on my 200g about once a month anyway. Water changes every other day is absolutely unnecessary.

OP
OP
C

carilynn11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I dose every night and turn skimmer off until next morning. Carbon is removed for the duration. Water changes are not absolutely necessary, and I just do a 40g change on my 200g about once a month anyway. Water changes every other day is absolutely unnecessary.
Thank you !

OP
OP
C

carilynn11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would answer some of my questions posted earlier before jumping to medication. As for treatment nems are always done in smaller tanks over the course of about a week. With water changes throughout and reapplication. I'll tag some others for the correct method as I have never had to treat a BTA either.

Everything in my tank is doing amazing I have a Goni bigger then. My hand, torches other btas doing amazing it’s just this one and no it was not shipped and it’s not a rbta

my tank is 3 years old, I use the moonshine method. Everything else in my tank is doing amazing including 2 other btas ! The nem I’m referencing is not a rainbow it was purple and orange and was not labeled rainbow when I bought it. I have a Goni bigger than my hand and a Duncan that grows a new head EVERY WEEK !! I dont think it’s my tank! I do an ICP every month !

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpeg
    IMG_1849.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 50

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back