Can i use sydney beach water for my saltwater tank.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Sydney harbour beach water for my saltwater tank, I dont have a boat so I can't go far out into the ocean, the water isn't polluted and it very clean.
If you do update us with how it goes! I have been interested in doing something similar. Im sure there will be all kinds of cool micro fauna in that sand!

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw ocean water will bring with it all local organisms including pests and disease.
I live in San Diego and have used Scripps water, but there are two significant advantages.
Scripps filters the water (I tend to avoid the raw seawater tap and use the filtered tap)
The ocean off California is COLD. Heating up the water for use in the aquarium reduces the likelihood of bringing in pest organisms and disease which are adapted to cold water.
Using unfiltered warm ocean water would present some risks.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw ocean water will bring with it all local organisms including pests and disease.
I live in San Diego and have used Scripps water, but there are two significant advantages.
Scripps filters the water (I tend to avoid the raw seawater tap and use the filtered tap)
The ocean off California is COLD. Heating up the water for use in the aquarium reduces the likelihood of bringing in pest organisms and disease which are adapted to cold water.
Now you have me intrigued about using cold maine water!

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll defiently keep that in mind, thanks

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Sydney ocean water for years without any noticeable issues. I didn't use harbour water, it was generally collected on the northern beaches (Freshwater and Long Reef mostly). While the point about pests is valid, this is offset by potential beneficial organisms. Running the water through a UV steriliser for a while before use may reduce risks (and benefits), the water you can buy at the LFS will generally be NSW collected from the shore and run through a filter.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Sydney harbour beach water for my saltwater tank, I dont have a boat so I can't go far out into the ocean, the water isn't polluted and it very clean.
Why?

Sydney harbour is extremely polluted.

I go northern beaches for a swim, no way I would swim in the harbour.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Sydney ocean water for years without any noticeable issues. I didn't use harbour water, it was generally collected on the northern beaches (Freshwater and Long Reef mostly). While the point about pests is valid, this is offset by potential beneficial organisms. Running the water through a UV steriliser for a while before use may reduce risks (and benefits), the water you can buy at the LFS will generally be NSW collected from the shore and run through a filter.

Why?

Sydney harbour is extremely polluted.

I go northern beaches for a swim, no way I would swim in the harbour.
Ok ill go to freshwater instead, thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back