Can I use this water filter system?

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So getting back into the hobby and was wondering my house was one of these installed under the sink can I use this system for water changes? Do I just need to buy the correct filters and add a di canister?

IMG_1138.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work to make RO water. Adding additional De-Ionization (DI) resin cartridges would make it RODI for reef use. For fish the RO is probably going to be just fine, and you can drink it too! I use one of these for my faucet and Ice water and a second with the DI resin cartridges to make RODI for my reef & fish tanks.

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work to make RO water. Adding additional De-Ionization (DI) resin cartridges would make it RODI for reef use. For fish the RO is probably going to be just fine, and you can drink it too! I use one of these for my faucet and Ice water and a second with the DI resin cartridges to make RODI for my reef & fish tanks.
That was my thoughts as well it’s going to be for a reef tank. Was going to buy a new unit but thought maybe I can use this. I think I’ll get new filters and add a di canister for my water changed and top off. No sense in buying another one if I have one already.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thoughts as well it’s going to be for a reef tank. Was going to buy a new unit but thought maybe I can use this. I think I’ll get new filters and add a di canister for my water changed and top off. No sense in buying another one if I have one already.
Makes sense. The RO membranes need to be replaced now and again, same as the charcoal and mechanical filters but the canisters can be solid for many, many years. I replaced some canisters recently as the o-rings and threads were wearing and I decided to buy new canisters with new o-rings just to enjoy easier filter swaps. I put in 3 DI resin cartridges and it extended the time between services which is nice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back