Can like corals be placed near each other?

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example I have several torches with one or two heads each. But all fragged from different colonies. Will they sting each other if I place them close enough that they can brush against each other?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take this with a grain of salt, but most of what I've read says that most types of euphyllia are fine around one another. I currently have a torch right next to a frogspawn right next to a cristata next to a hammer. All within striking distance. Have had them this way for the past month or so, and have not noticed any negatives, with the exception of sweepers coming from the cristata, no damage to the others.
But it did this in QT alone as well so not sure if related or not

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a decent rule of thumb, *species* can be kept together. That’s what I’ve always followed.
Like for mushrooms, disco with disco, etc. not any mushroom.
I can’t speak to torch and hammer but torches and torches are fine.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a decent rule of thumb, *species* can be kept together. That’s what I’ve always followed.
Like for mushrooms, disco with disco, etc. not any mushroom.
I can’t speak to torch and hammer but torches and torches are fine.
+1

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been able to keep same species together for the most part but there are always exceptions. I have two torches that didn't do well next to each other.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth rate in your tank will also come into play. If your tank coral x grows much faster than coral y. And place x next to y. Overtime even peaceful corals the faster growing coral will outcompete the slower coral.

And as a general rule keep soft corals away from hard corals. Corals like leathers have some pretty noxious compounds in them to avoid being eaten and to carve a niche for themselves.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back