Can more then one Court Jester Goby be kept together?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to buy 2 court jester gobies. Live aquaria says only 1 per tank unless it is large with hiding spaces. My tank is a 6ft 125 gallon. While I do not consider this large, for gobies I would consider it large though. Has anyone kept more then one? Thoughts?

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that would be an issue. However, I recently spoke with my LFS about them and they like to starve to death apparently? I am finding that in these larger tanks it is really hard to monitor finicky fish. I like my little piggies!

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. I have one, it is a funny fish that all other fish seem to leave alone for no reason I can figure out. Maybe it carries a glock. If you get two and it turns into instant bloodsport let me know because it would be cool to have another one running around.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that would be an issue. However, I recently spoke with my LFS about them and they like to starve to death apparently? I am finding that in these larger tanks it is really hard to monitor finicky fish. I like my little piggies!

So you think a pair would starve in my tank? My tank has been running for close to 7 years, has plenty of algae, and is 125 gallons. I should have also mentioned that the pair I want to buy are bitoa captive bred

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. I have one, it is a funny fish that all other fish seem to leave alone for no reason I can figure out. Maybe it carries a glock. If you get two and it turns into instant bloodsport let me know because it would be cool to have another one running around.

I have wanted one for years. I am not sure what has kept me from pulling the trigger. If introduced at the same time, and small, and they are so peaceful and in a large tank. I can't imagine they would not be ok together. There are plenty of hidey holes.

But I do not have much experience with gobies, let alone this specific one, I wanted to check with others.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that hard to believe. The one I have now has a big belly on him, he just loves the live black worms and will get right in the mix of things and is not timid at all when I feed the tank. Spends most of the day sifting through the sand so I don't see how they get the rep of a fish that can starve to death. This is the second one I've had and both were piggies.
I'd love to get another one but the tank is too small for two.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on keeping two... but if you get the ORA court jesters they should eat pellet food. I have one and he’ll sift the sand and pick at algae on the rocks but also eat pellets when I feed them. Won’t eat frozen food though.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think a pair would starve in my tank? My tank has been running for close to 7 years, has plenty of algae, and is 125 gallons. I should have also mentioned that the pair I want to buy are bitoa captive bred
From what I understand it is just they don't eat well. The Biota ones will be REALLY tiny.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on keeping two... but if you get the ORA court jesters they should eat pellet food. I have one and he’ll sift the sand and pick at algae on the rocks but also eat pellets when I feed them. Won’t eat frozen food though.
Well this is a much better outlook on them. I tried one, and he just disappeared. As I was looking into getting more that was what I was told. :)

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is on liveaquaria that I am looking at. It says approximate purchase size 1.5-2" Being that their maz size is only 3" I didn't think that was that tiny. Is it?
Maybe they are growing these guys bigger? I have seen the mandarins and good grief they are teeny.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota's website also says they eat pellets.

I also dumped in 3 or 4 jars of algae barns 5280 pods about a month ago. Pretty sure they would eat those.

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new and got one on impulse. He's definitely peaceful and just swims around and grazes on the glass and rocks. Hides at night comes out early in the day. Haven't seen him pick up pellets but does go after mysis srimp. Also when I got him his belly was kinda sunken now he's rounded out so he's eating. I say go for it your tank is bigger than mine.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new and got one on impulse. He's definitely peaceful and just swims around and grazes on the glass and rocks. Hides at night comes out early in the day. Haven't seen him pick up pellets but does go after mysis srimp. Also when I got him his belly was kinda sunken now he's rounded out so he's eating. I say go for it your tank is bigger than mine.

Nice. How long have you had yours?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back