Can somebody ID this for me please?

Chris_TheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this frag at a shop, I was told this is Australophyllia Wilsoni. Did some searches and cant seem to find anything like it. The closest thing i can think of is some sort of Acan.

IMG_2260.JPG

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely in the family lobophylliidae. Acans (Micromussa) generally have radiating lines on their polyps and don't have mottled coloration, so I would guess Australophyllia wilsoni.

OP
OP
C

Chris_TheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely in the family lobophylliidae. Acans (Micromussa) generally have radiating lines on their polyps and don't have mottled coloration, so I would guess Australophyllia wilsoni.
Thank you for the reply man. Yea its been a little difficult to tell with a single head haha.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree it is a wilsoni. I bought one with three heads and it looks like a weird Acan (particularly since they are about the same size), but I saw some full colonies from the same shipment and they look wilsoni. Here is the one I bought
SpecialSymphylliaWilsoniApprox1-2_-_100_1080x.png

And here is a full colony of the same coloration from AquaSD
UltraSymphylliaWilsoni_EggCrateBehindis3Squares_2_-_200_9_2048x2048.png

Low light, lower temp too, I run my tank between 76 and 77 but when I first got it did 75-76 for a bit. It's still new, but doing great. It needs to be fed a lot, so get some fauna marin lps pellets.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd also ask wherever you bought it from if it is the temperate type and if they Temp acclimated it in their tanks.

OP
OP
C

Chris_TheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also ask wherever you bought it from if it is the temperate type and if they Temp acclimated it in their tanks.
i think the owner of the shop had said it was a warmer temp variety. Wow thats a beautiful piece i love the blue on that!! i keep my tank around 81-84. it does fluctuate tiny bits throughout the day because its only a 13 gallon system. Ive kept an eye on it and its gotten a little shriveled and came back a few times, Keeps its feeders out at night though. Its been very hard finding any info on the behavior of these coral. Also i should mention the system is about a year old with other lps, zoas and softies aswell as animals that seem to be doing pretty well.

OP
OP
C

Chris_TheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can i really control the temp on my system? should i get a variable temp heater with fans on the top of the tank? its been pretty cold lately here and i dont have control of my heaters in my apartment, they kinda turn on and turn off, sometimes getting real hot if im away and the windows are closed. ive thought about this alot and havent had too many issues.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, inkbird controller, I have the wifi one that has a plug for the heater and a fan. Do you have a lid? A 13 gallon I'd assume is a Fluval Flex. If it has a lid, it really jumps the temp up.

OP
OP
C

Chris_TheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, inkbird controller, I have the wifi one that has a plug for the heater and a fan. Do you have a lid? A 13 gallon I'd assume is a Fluval Flex. If it has a lid, it really jumps the temp up.
i welded together a top for it, its basically a metal grid panel over top with metal sides so that the fish cant jump out. also did it so that i could mount an ai prime onto the tank. Its a fluval evo

Last edited:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i welded together a top for it, its basically a metal grid panel over top with metal sides so that the fish cant jump out. also did it so that i could mount an ai prime onto the tank. Its a fluval evo
Welded, so did you make this out of steel or aluminum?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
its a lower grade steel. its already rusty so im probably gonna need to make a new one with some better material sometime in the future.
Sooner rather than later. You don’t want to get rust in your tank. It causes all
Kinda of problems.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd use one of the screen kits. There are diy tutorials on YouTube or you could use the Red Sea one.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back