Can someone help me figure out what’s wrong with my torch

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this torch coral for about 4 months now and recently has been looking like this. It looks like the head of the torch is showing and it’s almost pushing itself out to show its head rather than the thick tentacles covering it. My two other torches are doing just fine and have thick tentacles. Was looking to see if someone could help me determine the issue. Haven’t found much online in regards to this issue. Thanks!
IMG_9151.jpeg
IMG_9152.jpeg

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you provide a better photo? (Not blue) it's really difficult to identify when it's full blue. It sounds like it's maybe hungry, stretching out for more light it's hard to tell. It could be a combination of direct flow as well as the angle you've got it at. :)

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you provide a better photo? (Not blue) it's really difficult to identify when it's full blue. It sounds like it's maybe hungry, stretching out for more light it's hard to tell :)
I thought the picture was rough I was just too lazy to grab my lenses lol. Basically the head of the torch is showing and the tentacles are real thin and just going back. Looks like it is almost stretching for light/ hungry but I haven’t see anything on torches doing that.

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the picture was rough I was just too lazy to grab my lenses lol. Basically the head of the torch is showing and the tentacles are real thin and just going back. Looks like it is almost stretching for light/ hungry but I haven’t see anything on torches doing that.
I think it's either hungry or as I mentioned in my edited post a combination of angle of the coral+direct flow it really depends how much flow is hitting it. Some batter torches with flow and they love it all comes down to the individual coral.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's either hungry or as I mentioned in my edited post a combination of angle of the coral+direct flow it really depends how much flow is hitting it. Some batter torches with flow and they love it all comes down to the individual coral.
IMG_9153.jpeg
IMG_9154.jpeg

Sorry for the night pics but the lights just went out.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much better photos! Is the mouth of the coral gaping? Can you see the white lines on the inside of its mouth?
No, his mouth has never been open and I’ve never see the Filaments inside. Its mouth is usually tightly closed and just see that outline of it. Just seems to be stretching out almost which is odd to me

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, his mouth has never been open and I’ve never see the Filaments inside. Its mouth is usually tightly closed and just see that outline of it. Just seems to be stretching out almost which is odd to me
I wouldn't worry to be honest. In my experience with torches, hammers etc as long as you have good polyp extension I wouldn't be concerned. Just monitor.. if things get worse you'll know usually torches go downhill really quick. Give it a few days if you see its getting worse I'd do a dip.

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try feeding it a small amount wait an hour and see what response you get that's always an option its possibly just hungry.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry to be honest. In my experience with torches, hammers etc as long as you have good polyp extension I wouldn't be concerned. Just monitor.. if things get worse you'll know usually torches go downhill really quick. Give it a few days if you see its getting worse I'd do a dip.
Thanks man! I wasn’t super worried about it as it’s been doing that for a while now. Was just curious to see if anyone had the answer as to why it’s doing that. I will keep an eye on it and dip if things start to look any worse. Maybe give him a good feed too

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! I wasn’t super worried about it as it’s been doing that for a while now. Was just curious to see if anyone had the answer as to why it’s doing that. I will keep an eye on it and dip if things start to look any worse. Maybe give him a good feed too
No problem! If its been a while that's even more reason I wouldn't be worrying. Goodluck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back