Can someone please help with my tangs eye I don’t know what’s up

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would have moved him over to qt and treated there. I never dose anything in the display tank solely for this reason, you just never know how your corals will react to meds. Im guessing the prazi depleted your o2 content. Very sorry for your losses :( but get the qt setup and start treatment with antibiotics. NFG is your best bet as it's a broad spectrum that treats darn near everything. Also food soaked in vitamins to help keep your fishs immune system up to fight off infection.
Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Prazi pro is for internal and protozoan infection. You have external and as I mentioned it is external bacterial and dd you verify ammonia level? did you also try Epsom salt bath which effective??

For eye, proper treatment would be melafix or teramyacin. . . . . . Not PraziPro.

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would have moved him over to qt and treated there. I never dose anything in the display tank solely for this reason, you just never know how your corals will react to meds. Im guessing the prazi depleted your o2 content. Very sorry for your losses :( but get the qt setup and start treatment with antibiotics. NFG is your best bet as it's a broad spectrum that treats darn near everything. Also food soaked in vitamins to help keep your fishs immune system up to fight off infection.
Good luck!
What’s NFG?
wonder where I can get it ASAP

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi pro is for internal and protozoan infection. You have external and as I mentioned it is external bacterial and dd you verify ammonia level? did you also try Epsom salt bath which effective??

For eye, proper treatment would be melafix or teramyacin. . . . . . Not PraziPro.
Well everyone thought he has flukes so we did the prazi I guess

:(

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the cup off the skimmer and let it run. That way you get the gas exchange benefits without your skimmer going crazy or removing what you want out of the water. Definitely get him out to treat. I don’t trust putting anything in the display as some chemicals can remain in the display and cause continued problems. Carbon and a poly-filter may be your best friend for your tank after you get him out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well everyone thought he has flukes so we did the prazi I guess

:(
Best way to detect flukes is to do a freshwater dip. After dip, inspect bottom of bucket. You will see what looks like small seeds to sesame seed looking particles which are flukes

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the QT is filling now
My lFs told me something called furan2 is similar to NFG

can anyone comment
That’s all they have

can I keep prazipro in the QT also
Getting ready to move him

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So the QT is filling now
My lFs told me something called furan2 is similar to NFG

can anyone comment
That’s all they have

can I keep prazipro in the QT also
Getting ready to move him
Furan is a good treatment. I would treat at 80% of recommended treatment

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not continue with Prazi. If I read correctly you have already treated max dose 3 times in 10 days? That should be more than enough to be assured flukes have been adequately treated.

What is your total system volume and how much Prazi did you use? Did you do water changes between each dose? Each treatment usually lasts 5-7 days so you may have over treated a bit which may explain your coral.

Hope your beautiful tang improves!

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the ideas
I just got back from my LFS
The set me up with kanamycin and metronidazole combo
They think this is best choice but also best they had in stock
I’m preparing to move him to his on QT in the next 30 min

I’m letting the water settle a but

I did the prazi every 3 days like the bottle suggested but the tank really took a beating with the slimmer off and so on
After I move him I will do a big water change on my DT and try and get things stable in the DT

my LFS told me I can do the prazi and the antibiotics at the same time in the QT

here is a pic of my poor buddy and his temporary new home while I get him healthy

0EFF5AC1-7372-4310-ADE1-1C560B5DD7D7.jpeg 702F6C3C-833D-4621-88C5-72B60640955B.jpeg 2BD3DC53-F053-4347-BED3-888FCFC753D5.jpeg 171E69EC-DBDA-4F72-88E3-23673AB708C3.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he made the move
He was obviously not happy
He is now down in the meds for a 5 day treatment with minimal to no light

I hope he gets better :(

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the prazi will deal with the flukes but not necessarily any related infections. General Cure (I know, this is late) has the metro abx in it also. So your course with the abx seems appropriate. I dealt with prazi resistant flukes and also had to dose NFG afterward for the related infections. It all cleared for me over time.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way- there is a research paper on r2r someplace that shows the best treatment for flukes with prazi is on day one and repeat again day 6-7 based on salinity and temperature. The link to that May be in the prazi resistant fluke thread. There is a calculator to use for figuring the second day needed.

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting mixed results because some people think it’s flukes others do not
Some say they think he just banged his eye

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any recommendations on food for QT
The QT has limited filtration and the last thing I need right now is an ammonia spike

flake? Pelleted? Nori?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a really nice QT set up, great job. Is that live rock you added? If so, it will help with ammonia spikes. If it were me, I would go with a good frozen food that has some seaweed soaked in a vitamin supplement if you can get that. Net out whatever he doesn't eat after a couple of minutes. He's a tang, he needs seaweed so I'd do a small piece of nori daily as well. Remove before it can disintegrate and pollute the tank.

Best luck!

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a really nice QT set up, great job. Is that live rock you added? If so, it will help with ammonia spikes. If it were me, I would go with a good frozen food that has some seaweed soaked in a vitamin supplement if you can get that. Net out whatever he doesn't eat after a couple of minutes. He's a tang, he needs seaweed so I'd do a small piece of nori daily as well. Remove before it can disintegrate and pollute the tank.

Best luck!

thanks
I gave him a small piece of nori and some flake
Tomorrow I will give him some frozen

it’s some live rock I had in my coral QT

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seaweed/nori with Garlic, Frozen food such as LRS Herbivore diet and add vitamin such as selcon and also occasional flake.
Feeding sparingly is key to keeping ammonia down. Hence , a little food is better than No food at all. Obviously maintain filtration. Run hyposalinity ( at 1.021-1.023) which will mimic Epsom salt bath. Epsom salt bath Still recommended

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back