Can two dollies support a 125 gallon glass tank?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just got my 125 gallon. I need to water leak test it. So I was going to keep it on two dollies as in the pic, as I may need to move around the tank until it's on my stand. Will the dollies suport it fine when it's filled with water?
TIA

IMG_8528.jpeg

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place on a solid level floor to leak check. Even with the tank having the plastic brace to help with distributing the weight, be just as easy on the ground.
So I'll put it on a large towel on the floor (level tile). What plastic brace are you talking about?

I would not fill it with water. It doesn’t take much of a shift for a seam to break.
Good point, a small shift can mess everything up.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above: dollies are probably strong enough to support the weight if you verify against rating (probably rated around 1000lbs each like @WVNed mentioned above; my brother uses a single one of these to move pianos, which are not light-weight at all!), but you don't want to allow for uneven loading on the tank glass panels that could damage or destroy a seam(s) and ruin the tank.

I'd personally put it flat and level on a floor strong enough to support the weight rather than taking unnecessary additional risks, particularly for a rimless tank like the one pictured above.

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that tank I would recommend a yoga mat or something more consistent than a towel on the floor. Very few tiles are perfectly flat. Level and flat are 2 different things.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would echo the above the dollies will hold the weight but will not give the even support the tank needs.
DON'T DO IT

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back