Can using a Generator cause permanent heater problems?

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have problems with equipment after being powered by a generator?

I have two finnex 300 W heaters (~1 yr old) and they're both acting up for the last 6 weeks, basically since I ran them off of a generator for a couple days. The generator was brand new, good quality, and has plenty of power for the load I applied. The heaters worked well before that, although the numerical temp setting didn't match their output temp

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Now they both have a hard time holding a consistent temp, swinging by sever degrees and requiring me to constantly fiddle with the setting. I'll probably replace them and add a temp controller, but I'm wondering if I should avoid using the generator in the future?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these heaters with built in thermostats? or heaters with no thermostat that you need external controller?
if thermostat built in then yes a generator with dirty output voltage can cause damage to electronic devices.
most people will recommend an inverter type generator.

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, built in thermostats. Fascinating, I didn't know there was a difference in generators, although honestly I think we got the very last generator in the state after the derecho storm came through so we were lucky we got anything.

I just tested the heaters (by plugging them into a "kill-a-watt" meter). They look like theyre on, they're displaying the actual tank temp accurately, and the indicator light says they're heating, but the meter says they're not using any significant juice. Also the tank temp is low, so that pretty much settles it - the non-invertor generator fried my heaters.
Thanks for the tip @Biglew11

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mi-T-M 9000 watt, it's a great commercial grade generator, for power tools, well pump, freezer etc. But apparently not ok for sensitive electronics.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some power sources, including some generators and switching power supplies, may produce a lot of electrical noise along with the power being generated. Some devices deal with that noise better than others.

Devices with an electronic control section, like some heaters have, may not respond well to the noise. In order to eliminate the likelihood of poor performance and/or circuit damage one solution is to filter out the noise prior to reaching vulnerable devices.

I picked one such 3,000 watt device, randomly, which is made for audio/video applications (below). There are many brands & manufacturers, just know that some may be much better than others, so read reviews, etc. before investing. Hope this helps.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the generator? There doesn't appear to be a 9kW generator on Mi-T-M's site. The next closest generator, the 8kW model, appears to have an inverter and boasts THD less than 6%, which should be fine for heaters.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I won't rule out noise from a generator as possible cause, it may having nothing to do with this. Instead, the grid itself can generate spikes and troughs in big storms until they shut down.

Once or twice a year I have to replace random relays, switches etc. My AC condensers are especially prone.

I should check into "whole-house" power conditioners.

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ichthyoid , I'll check that out!

Good call @chipmunkofdoom2 , it actually is the 8000 watt model ("9kw peak"), I don't think it is an inverter model though, I believe it's their "portable gas powered" line which seems to be different than their "inverter" models. (live and learn I guess)

@ScottB I do have a whole house surge suppressor that we added after a surge fried a PC a couple years ago (we live in the country so power is a bit less predictable). I assume a whole house conditioner is a whole different thing? I can't recall the model/size of the suppressor but it was expensive (~$150), I'll check when I get home...

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, surge suppression & electrical noise filters are two different things-

-One protects sensitive equipment from surges/spikes in voltage (aka- overvoltage)

-Other protects sensitive equipment from spurious variations in the voltage, especially of high frequency (aka- noise).

It is possible to buy components which perform both of the above functions.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call @chipmunkofdoom2 , it actually is the 8000 watt model ("9kw peak"), I don't think it is an inverter model though, I believe it's their "portable gas powered" line which seems to be different than their "inverter" models. (live and learn I guess)
Their portable gas powered line claims to be AVR (Auto Voltage Regulator) with a THD (total harmonic distortion) of under 6%. This should provide clean power that is safe for use in electronics.
You may have an older model generator from before they implemented AVR or your generator may be faulty but I suspect the heaters were damaged by a surge when power was lost.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially thought the 6% THD could cause problems for CMOS components, but now I’m not sure.

Mostly because the THD is likely measured at 120 VAC, while the CMOS runs at 12 VDC.

So, not sure...?

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially thought the 6% THD could cause problems for CMOS components, but now I’m not sure.

Mostly because the THD is likely measured at 120 VAC, while the CMOS runs at 12 VDC.

So, not sure...?
Just saw you edited this.. but you are correct, the 6% THD is still going to be under 6% for the given voltage so it shouldn't damage a CMOS.

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Brew12 and @ichthyoid! This is vastly more detail than I expected, but awesome info to consider when selecting a generator / power filter.
The generator was actually brand new and straight from the factory when I got it in early August this year, then went straight to my tank, fridge, and well pump. The factory couldn't make them fast enough after half the state lost power for a week. It's also certainly possible that the storm / power outage fried the circuits right before I got the generator...

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw,
While you can buy a combination surge suppressor & filter in one device, this may be not be an advantage, so something to consider.

Buying a separate surge suppressor, and placing it before a separate filter, will enable you to possibly only have to replace the suppressor if/when it fails.

The MOV varistors (a type of electronic component) typically used in suppressors weaken over time, and should be replaced every few years, to offer the best protection.

I know it’s a lot of detail, but these things often aren’t mentioned by manufacturers. Unless you read detailed reviews, or work in a field where these things are part of your job, then you may not be aware of them.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, no mention of sine waves. I fried a heater with a generator that was not pure sine wave. I now use an inverter and a 12V battery. I use this for camping and tank emergencies. Silent and you can scale the amount of battery.

Non inverter generators naturally produce sine waves, however, they can have issues with harmonic content and voltage stability.
Inverters designated as "pure sine wave" are designed to replicate the mechanical generators as opposed to using a technology such as "pulse width modulation" which is very bad for some electronics.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for inverters,

Using 3 problems to solve 1, is typically not the best solution.

A corollary of Occam’s Razor

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back