Can you bring home Zoas from Hawaii?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So… hypothetically. If I saw some nice zoas in some tide pools in Hawaii am I allowed to bring them? I’ve read that stony corals, and live rock is a big no, but there’s nothing that says Zoas cannot be taken. If they’re on a shell or something would that be fair game? Just take them in a small container under 3.4 ounces (for the plane)
Most likely I don’t plan on doing this, but if there are some on a little shell or something I may do it, if it’s legal of course.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So… hypothetically. If I saw some nice zoas in some tide pools in Hawaii am I allowed to bring them? I’ve read that stony corals, and live rock is a big no, but there’s nothing that says Zoas cannot be taken. If they’re on a shell or something would that be fair game? Just take them in a small container under 3.4 ounces (for the plane)
Most likely I don’t plan on doing this, but if there are some on a little shell or something I may do it, if it’s legal of course.
You’ll have your 20min of fame. I believe you can get permits in Florida and probably other states to collect certain corals/critters. But you have to get a permit for most and there are laws in size and quantity.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are hard off to find anyone in Hawaii that keeps reef tanks. It’s very illegal to collect anything from the ocean there.
And No Snakes! Don’t think about having a pet snake! No Snakes!
steve irwin snakes GIF by Bustle

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i used to have a guy that would post zoas to us reefers….
this was like 6 or 7 years ago tho.

wild sus; but fatty hawaiian z’s

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s illegal for most things. I checked with this article.

It says stony corals, live rock, and it lists other animals. So idk.
I think you can take them, but I’d either have to peel them off the rock, or find some attached to sand or something.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s illegal for most things. I checked with this article.

It says stony corals, live rock, and it lists other animals. So idk.
I think you can take them, but I’d either have to peel them off the rock, or find some attached to sand or something.
Call the Hawaii DLNR and ask. IIRC you can collect fish in certain areas for your personal aquarium, definitely not for resale. But please ask and let us know :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t go off a website. I would call and get documentation that you are allowed. Plus some areas are protected. You don’t want to get caught without proper information. Fines or jail time… no thanks.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the crazy thing about Hawaii is there s no corals in tide pools etc, you have to go farther out because most of the coastline is polluted. you only see some fish like damsels, and alot of dead stuff and algae. and yes its illegal to remove stuff from the ocean and the locals will probably keep you a good beating if they catch you doing that good luck

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the crazy thing about Hawaii is there s no corals in tide pools etc, you have to go farther out because most of the coastline is polluted. you only see some fish like damsels, and alot of dead stuff and algae. and yes its illegal to remove stuff from the ocean and the locals will probably keep you a good beating if they catch you doing that good luck
Clearly we've gone to different parts of Hawaii.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I mean that’s what I thought, but at Two step there are some little “pools” and there are A LOT of Zoas (but you have to look close). Very surprising.
But yeah I’m worried about the locals etc

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything I've heard from their export ban from this year I would lean heavily towards the side of no. Maybe if the collection were related to conservationist efforts or education I think they would allow it (with permits you probably have to purchase) but for personal reasons I find it unlikely.

Like others have said in this post though it's better to ask the officials about this rather then risk being incarcerated or fined based on information from even their own website.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all are assuming Government Workers actually answer their phones...or are even there to answer a ringing phone
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX
Ricky Gervais Lol GIF
spit take GIF
Well everytime I’ve called DNR where I’m from with questions regarding hunting or fishing, yes, they have answered the phone and then if they don’t know they put me with the person that over sees the stuff I’m inquiring about.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all are assuming Government Workers actually answer their phones...or are even there to answer a ringing phone
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX
Ricky Gervais Lol GIF
spit take GIF
A person from the DLNR responded to my email like 1.5 days later.
They said it was ok as long as I didn't take the rock the Zoas are on :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back