Can you kill algae with proper QT?

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the process of building my aquarium system, and I'm totally sold on a full QT process before anything will make it into my display tank. I'm also starting with 100% dry rock and sand.

I've listened to a ton of podcasts/videos by the experts that sold me on the quarantine process to prevent fish disease and coral eating parasites.

The one thing I haven't heard anything on is quarantining for algae control. Maybe I haven't searched for it yet, or the presenters just didn't have enough time to get to algae.

So the question is, can the introduction of algae be prevented with proper QT processes? If so, what kinds of treatments are necessary?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what I could think I would say no.

With QT like you mentioned it takes care of fish related issues. There are so many other ways algae develop, I have never seen a truly 100% algae free tank, just ones managed well so it is not visible. Even with the best of efforts it will always find a way in. The cleanest of tanks totally free from signs of algae will have an outbreak if upkeep is not done.

Can it be kept out of the display, yes.

Maybe someone will have a different take or something successful that works.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back