QT with macro/live rock ??

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I just popped our two new clowns into a QT system. I’ve never done QT with marine fish (I try to never buy new fish) but wanted to ask, who keeps a “sterile” QT and who adds live rock/macro/sand?
I’m doing a bare bottom with some rocks and algae form my fuge.

I’m not medicating for anything. Just going to do a month of observation then a HydroPlex dip before adding to our display tank.
IMG_7637.jpeg
IMG_7633.jpeg
IMG_7634.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend doing a proactive QT (copper and prazi) as it is easy to miss something. Plus, if they get sick, you have to restart the entire timeline of the QT. If the disease is deadly, an observational won't allow you to act in time to save the fish.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my invert QT, I keep macroalgae, sand, and a branch rock in there. I wouldn't do the sand again though since it just removes a surface for my snails to feed from.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend doing a proactive QT (copper and prazi) as it is easy to miss something. Plus, if they get sick, you have to restart the entire timeline of the QT. If the disease is deadly, an observational won't allow you to act in time to save the fish.
Ok, I’ll look into that. I’d need to remove all rock and such for a copper treatment as it will cause some die off and soak into the rock from my understanding.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ll look into that. I’d need to remove all rock and such for a copper treatment as it will cause some die off and soak into the rock from my understanding.

You can swap the rock with pvc pipes for the fish and biosponges for the bacteria :)

Biospira can be added to seed the biosponge if you want.

Check out Jay Hemdal's qt guide on here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back