OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you kidding, have you never had salmon sashimi, that and yellowtail are my fav. I also eat it cooked.
I think it is from years of catching and eating fresh water fish in MN, where good seafood was hard to find until more recently. I will occasionally eat raw seafood if near the ocean, but I usually prefer my fish, cooked, smoked, or pickled!

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering about getting a better diet for my snowflake. The LFS said it was eating the little frozen blocks of krill, but I don't see how. I tried that for a couple days, but they just fly all over the tank. We started him on Hikkari sliversides, and he's done well with that, but as the package is almost gone, he's shown little interest in them. Another issue seems to be the size. I sliced them into 1/4's, but he had trouble swallowing them.
@lion king , I read a couple of your threads. You seem to be the most informed person I've seen on any forums. I found your suggested diet thread, and it sounds quite doable. However, the size issue keeps cropping up for me. The snowflake really looks like he's having a hard time with anything bigger than about 1/2 the size of a dime. Shells won't stay on shrimp if you cut them that small. He wouldn't even try the shrimp I cut up for him. So, I'm nervous about skin on salmon. That skin is pretty tough when it's raw, and I don't want the poor thing to choke to death. I have noticed in the last few days several front halves of large hermit crabs floating in the gravel. I believe he may be grazing on the CUC, unless they're killing each other for better real estate.
Another question: GHA has been a growing problem ;) I was thinking about dosing fluconazole, but then I read your post about chemicals damaging predators. Do you think with would be a problem for the snowflake?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering about getting a better diet for my snowflake. The LFS said it was eating the little frozen blocks of krill, but I don't see how. I tried that for a couple days, but they just fly all over the tank. We started him on Hikkari sliversides, and he's done well with that, but as the package is almost gone, he's shown little interest in them. Another issue seems to be the size. I sliced them into 1/4's, but he had trouble swallowing them.
@lion king , I read a couple of your threads. You seem to be the most informed person I've seen on any forums. I found your suggested diet thread, and it sounds quite doable. However, the size issue keeps cropping up for me. The snowflake really looks like he's having a hard time with anything bigger than about 1/2 the size of a dime. Shells won't stay on shrimp if you cut them that small. He wouldn't even try the shrimp I cut up for him. So, I'm nervous about skin on salmon. That skin is pretty tough when it's raw, and I don't want the poor thing to choke to death. I have noticed in the last few days several front halves of large hermit crabs floating in the gravel. I believe he may be grazing on the CUC, unless they're killing each other for better real estate.
Another question: GHA has been a growing problem ;) I was thinking about dosing fluconazole, but then I read your post about chemicals damaging predators. Do you think with would be a problem for the snowflake?

I would absolutely NOT dose fluconazole. Products like this have a danger of causing liver damage, and eventually liver failure. These chemicals tend to be more toxic to fish that live on a gorge/fast feeding routine, it's possibly the way the liver processes toxins.

If you have read my threads, I strongly suggest not to include krill because of the high thiaminese content. If you are good about feeding other foods like mussels which contain high amounts of vit B1, then a very ;limited amount of krill would be ok. The problem is many fish will take krill easily and some decide to only eat krill, then krill quickly becomes the dominant part of their diet.

I prefer slices to chunks when feeding my eels. When my eels were too small for whole silversides, I sliced them lengthwise, Slice the salmon about the wide of the eel's mouth, they can easily take down a few inches of a food sliced the width of their mouth. Hikarai changed the species of fish they use to smelt as their silversides, smelt contains a high amount of thiaminese, so I no longer recommend Hikari silversides. San Francisco Bay brand is a true silverside, a species of salt water fish, and this is best brand of silversides.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back