Can You Pressure Wash Filter Roller Fleece

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you can use a pressure washer on filter roller fleece as you would with a filter sock once it’s dirty.
I have no specific brand in mind, just wondering if I’ll have to replace the fleece rollers all the time or if I can really wash them hard as I do with my current filter socks.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been pressure washing mine for years - first I soak them (let them dry when i pop them out, i have 2 tanks with 4 socks on 1 (Redsea 750 XXL) and 2 socks on another - and once i go through most of the socks, i then soak them in hot water and a little bleach for a day, then turn them inside out and let them soak again for a day and them pressure wash them all (about 34 at last count). They seem to hold up well - usually lasting about 1 year of monthly washes before need to toss them out.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been pressure washing mine for years - first I soak them (let them dry when i pop them out, i have 2 tanks with 4 socks on 1 (Redsea 750 XXL) and 2 socks on another - and once i go through most of the socks, i then soak them in hot water and a little bleach for a day, then turn them inside out and let them soak again for a day and them pressure wash them all (about 34 at last count). They seem to hold up well - usually lasting about 1 year of monthly washes before need to toss them out.
do you use an actual portable pressure washer? I would think that would really loosen the weave in the fleece-hmm?

i pressure washed my filter socks back in the day and they were noticeably thicker and fluffier after blasting them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not what the OP is asking!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a kind of defeat the purpose of a roller I think :thinking-face:
If the goal is to never clean anything sure. If the goal is go extended periods of time without having to switch socks in and out every few days yet get the benefits of mechanical filtration then it makes perfect sense to want to clean your filter rolls.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current filter socks can take a pounding from the pressure washer even at 0 degrees basically touching them. But I plan on going on holiday soon and have been thinking about getting a fleece roller although now the question is more what brand makes the most robust, durable, washable and reusable fleece.

Attachments

• BFD1527D-CA8C-43A2-BB8E-F6F09BF980D1.jpeg
    BFD1527D-CA8C-43A2-BB8E-F6F09BF980D1.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 40

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I struck gold when my wife had a minor defect with our Samsung washer, She got a new one and they had her send a pic of the power cord cut :) (lol really hard thing to fix) I would get divorce threats any time I washed my reef socks, even after days of soaking and prewashing.. I ran a hot water line and just run on "eco cold" I add a capful of bleach and add the extra rinse. I was on reef diapers for a bit but after going to bio-pellets my 3 days of changing filter sock changed to swapping 2 4" out daily.. I have taken them from the washer and put right into my sump with zero issues. Tried Power washing and it does get them just as clean with much more of a mess and it seems to wear them out(fluff them) too much. My 2 cents

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like at that point just using filter socks would be much easier than unrolling a nasty a spool of fleece that would probably get destroyed anyway.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it was a pretty painful process, I would go out of my way to unroll and reroll if it saved me driving to the LFS spending cash. I could see myself rolling fleece from one reel to another with a flat gap between them to pressure wash as I reel. Although I'm not sure if the fleece could handle it. Really it's about reducing maintenance cost.

I do think a high quality reusable fleece with tough material is an achievable product, even if the reel only lasted a month of filtration on average I would use it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think a high quality reusable fleece with tough material is an achievable product, even if the reel only lasted a month of filtration on average I would use it.
Invent this, make millions, and hire someone to do your tank maintenance! :)

alann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea, but I feel like it's just easier to buy a new one. You either take the cheaper path of socks, or the more expensive but low-maintenance path of roller mats.

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
there was a Thead on here. someone was washing the used rolled up floss in there washing machine.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back