Can you run RO/DI system without the DI?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lori_inFL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Lori_inFL

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2024
Messages
105
Reaction score
76
Location
Venice FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And would this be comparable to distilled water?

Planning on setting up a tank in the next few months. But in the meantime, Walmart is always out of distilled water I need for a tabletop fountain and my CPAP.

Could I go ahead and get a 5 - 7 stage RO/DI and not deionize the water? Put a vave between the filter cartridges and the ion membrane chamber?

I have chloramine in my water, will 5 stage be enough for a FOWLR or Reef tank? Hoping to get a used 75 GPD setup.
 
You can, but your water will likely still contain some level of contaminants, if it is hard in your area. I had issues with high phosphates for years running without DI and never realized they were coming from my water supply until I finally decided to install a DI filter.

They are relatively cheap and super easy to install downstream of the RODI system. Is there any reason other than cost that you are avoiding the DI?
 
What you want is a RODI system with prefilters set up to deal with chloramines - meaning a sediment filter and two carbon blocks, at least one of which is a chloramine specific block.
https://www.buckeyehydro.com/chloramine-special-rodi/
Thanks!
You can, but your water will likely still contain some level of contaminants, if it is hard in your area. I had issues with high phosphates for years running without DI and never realized they were coming from my water supply until I finally decided to install a DI filter.

They are relatively cheap and super easy to install downstream of the RODI system. Is there any reason other than cost that you are avoiding the DI?
I was thinking that I didn't want to strip all the minerals out of the water, that breathing in the steam without any minerals might just not be healthy. But after more research, it seems RODI might be better anyway.

Thanks for the reply and we'll see how the water out looks and good to know about downstream filtration if I need it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new