Can you stop clownfish aggression

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know if it is possible to get my clownfish to stop killing everything, my female clownfish has been in the tank for about a year perfectly fine but she has now started killing everything. She has just ripped my largest hermit crap out of it's shell, she started to pick at it about an hour ago and wouldn't leave it alone until it was dead, she has also killed a shrimp and a snail in the last few days. The tank is a 30gallon and the 2 clownfish are the only fish in it, I am now having to struggle with clean up crew because she keeps killing them all. Is there anything I can do to stop this

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want me to give you the straight answer?
No.
With this said, what kind of clown is it?
Here's what I’d do if you have a common clown(Some clowns are more aggressive then others). Give her away to someone with a much larger tank. Larger tanks, they're usually fine, more space is the key.

I know this isn't the proper answer but I personally wouldn't deal with her. It's just as cheap to buy a new one, then add another fish or two. Show the new clown the tank is full of life. If you do this afterwards, it could repeat itself.

With all of this, your in a 30G. Keep in mind this could happen again. If you feed them good, it should help.

I had a pair in a ten gallon tank before. Very little aggression too. Feeding them good was a must, feeding from every side too was a must. Small tanks, they'll stay on one side of the tank rather swimming around.

You have any other fish?

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want me to give you the straight answer?
No.
With this said, what kind of clown is it?
Here's what I’d do if you have a common clown(Some clowns are more aggressive then others). Give her away to someone with a much larger tank. Larger tanks, they're usually fine, more space is the key.

I know this isn't the proper answer but I personally wouldn't deal with her. It's just as cheap to buy a new one, then add another fish or two. Show the new clown the tank is full of life. If you do this afterwards, it could repeat itself.

With all of this, your in a 30G. Keep in mind this could happen again. If you feed them good, it should help.

I had a pair in a ten gallon tank before. Very little aggression too. Feeding them good was a must, feeding from every side too was a must. Small tanks, they'll stay on one side of the tank rather swimming around.

You have any other fish?
I thought this might be the case, there are no other fish in the tank, never has been. They are a bonded pair of de Vinci clowns and I don't have the money to buy another one. They are also the first marine fish I ever successfully kept. I guess I'll have to either cope or bite the bullet and get rid of her. Thanks for the reply

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this might be the case, there are no other fish in the tank, never has been. They are a bonded pair of de Vinci clowns and I don't have the money to buy another one. They are also the first marine fish I ever successfully kept. I guess I'll have to either cope or bite the bullet and get rid of her. Thanks for the reply
Those are very nice clowns!
Sorry, you'll have to live with it unless you upgrade your tank.
Have you tried to change your rock work up? That might be the only solution. Every fish hates new tanks and are usually scared at first.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are very nice clowns!
Sorry, you'll have to live with it unless you upgrade your tank.
Have you tried to change your rock work up? That might be the only solution. Every fish hates new tanks and are usually scared at first.
No I haven't tried that. Didn't think about changing it. I will definitely try that before I think about getting rid of her

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried asking her politely to take an anger management class?

Sorry you're having troubles, but perhaps it's a sign you need to upgrade and get a larger tank! (I suggest adding the clowns last so everyone else already has some turf of their own before the bullies come in)

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry you're having troubles, but perhaps it's a sign you need to upgrade and get a larger tank! (I suggest adding the clowns last so everyone else already has some turf of their own before the bullies come in)
Let me answer your question with a question.
You ever ask your lady to take an anger management class?

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have space for a larger tank else I would have upgraded months ago. The clowns are the only fish in the tank so they were the first and last fish added. The crabs and everything don't have their own space as they are part of the clean up crew

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back