Can you use too many bio blocks?

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I was testing out putting bio blocks in my tank’s back compartment where the skimmer use to be since someone in a different thread recommended I didn’t truly need a skimmer for a 13.5 gallon, I want to add I previously have added live rock to the display, I have the little bag of ceramic balls the fluval tank comes with and of course added live sand all a long time ago to cycle the tank. now here’s my question I added 4 bio blocks each 2x2x2 since well they fit the brand I’m specifically using is the bright well aquatics Xport-bio block each one is supposedly rated for 20-40 gallons but Ive added 4, is that a bad thing? Should I remove some? I initially added all 4 with the intention I’d eventually remove like 1 or 2 to help cycle my future tanks. thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with using too many, except it takes space away from other equipment, like the skimmer it replaced. Take a look at them every month. If they clog up, then you don't have enough, since they are bioloaded with microbes and if they get that full, the interior surface area is blocked off and not used. If they look fresh as the day you got them, then you have more than enough.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the blocks break down over time. I run eheim substrate pro glass sintered balls in my 20g nano cubes baskets. Siporax is another good one. You can not have to many, imo.

Matrix is another good biomedia that doesn't degrade

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back