Can your UV sterilizer be too big?

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I took the screen shot before placing my order. I just hope it's not missing pieces/ has damaged pieces, the description was "box damaged" I figure if I end up needing to buy a quartz tube, bulb, or a couple gaskets it was still a good deal... I figure worst case if its beyond repair, or its totally trashed, I can always return it.

Parts are super cheap even if you do need to replace something that may be missing.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Lifegard Aquatics have any flowrate/ dosage charts for their pro-max line? looks like the manual only shows flow rates at 30,000 µW/cm2

Parts are super cheap even if you do need to replace something that may be missing.
I was just checking that out, I'm impressed that several resellers carry some of the common replacement parts too.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Lifegard Aquatics have any flowrate/ dosage charts for their pro-max line? looks like the manual only shows flow rates at 30,000 µW/cm2

The 30,000 µW/cm2 Algae / Bacteria rate is a max of 4000GPH. So the 180,000 µW/cm2 protozoa rate is the 4000GPH / 6 = 666GPH for the max flow rate. These numbers are for the 5" 120 watt unit.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anybody knows the minium/optimal flow rates for the 55W 3 and 5 inch versions? Talking about the Lifeguard units of course.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody knows the minium/optimal flow rates for the 55W 3 and 5 inch versions? Talking about the Lifeguard units of course.

Optimal flow rates are typically 80% of the max flow numbers. I do not know the mininum numbers, youll have to reach out to Lifegard on that one.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Optimal flow rates are typically 80% of the max flow numbers. I do not know the mininum numbers, youll have to reach out to Lifegard on that one.

Called them, straight to voicemail.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Neil from Lifeguard called me back, which was great. They just moved and their phone systems arent fully up.

Stated there is really no minimum flow requirement as long as water is moving throught it. My worry was that too low a flow will overheat the unit as there is no water sweeping away the heat, he said not the case at all. Matter of fact he says the reason bulbis separated from water with quartz sleeve is to allow the bulb to run more efficiently at higher temperature. Makes total sense.

The answer on 3" vs 5" housing is that the 5" housing allows you to run at 4000 GPH, at lower flow rates the 3" unit is not only cheaper but more desirable.

I'll run mine at around 400-800 GPH as an offshoot of one of the return pumps.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neil from Lifeguard called me back, which was great. They just moved and their phone systems arent fully up.

Stated there is really no minimum flow requirement as long as water is moving throught it. My worry was that too low a flow will overheat the unit as there is no water sweeping away the heat, he said not the case at all. Matter of fact he says the reason bulbis separated from water with quartz sleeve is to allow the bulb to run more efficiently at higher temperature. Makes total sense.

The answer on 3" vs 5" housing is that the 5" housing allows you to run at 4000 GPH, at lower flow rates the 3" unit is not only cheaper but more desirable.

Glad to hear they called you back. I have never had issues getting maintenance parts or getting questions answered either.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I need a replacement plastic end cap, and a bulb, as the unit arrived a bit beat up. Dang this thing is larger in person!! (takes up most of the sofa) I reached out to Lifegard, as well as placing an order for the parts through a re-seller, but I may up having to wait till this virus blows over before getting to set her up, as I haven't heard back from anyone yet.
Overall this thing looks like a beast, I wish the cap wasn't broken that way I could at least plumb it, but for now it will sit in my fish room taunting me.
20200407_162938.jpg

20200407_162957.jpg

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone reduce it to 3/4" for barb fitting, do most of you guys run it vertical or horizontal, BRS's videos have them all installed horizontally in close loop fashion.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I need a replacement plastic end cap, and a bulb, as the unit arrived a bit beat up. Dang this thing is larger in person!! (takes up most of the sofa) I reached out to Lifegard, as well as placing an order for the parts through a re-seller, but I may up having to wait till this virus blows over before getting to set her up, as I haven't heard back from anyone yet.
Overall this thing looks like a beast, I wish the cap wasn't broken that way I could at least plumb it, but for now it will sit in my fish room taunting me.
20200407_162938.jpg

20200407_162957.jpg

did you get the parts and get it up and running?

Matt

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200407_162938.jpg

20200407_162957.jpg

I received mine yesterday, 55 watt version. The end caps of both the cardboard tubes that hold the quart sleeve and uv bulb where OUT. Luckily mine was not broken. But after seeing this, I am thinking lifeguard sure needs to start packing their stuff better.

I had the same reaction to the sheer size of it. Like I logically knew the dimensions, but until you actually see it in person...woah.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am glad to hear this, as I reached out to them and emailed them probably 2 weeks ago, and never heard back.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received mine yesterday, 55 watt version. The end caps of both the cardboard tubes that hold the quart sleeve and uv bulb where OUT. Luckily mine was not broken. But after seeing this, I am thinking lifeguard sure needs to start packing their stuff better.

I had the same reaction to the sheer size of it. Like I logically knew the dimensions, but until you actually see it in person...woah.

The end caps were off on my bulb, the quartz tube, and on the replacement bulb. I'm thinking maybe when they travel via air? maybe the pressure change is blowing off the end caps.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, but a little packing tape would fix that.
I was thinking the same thing. They have a wonderful product but need some better packaging techniques and better quality control.
Matt

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that's really the major issue with dramatically oversizing. There was a thread recently where a chap could not understand why his tank temp was rising when adding an UV. UV was 40w and the submersible feed pump 105 …. that's like adding a 150 watt heater that stays on all the time.
Yep! That chap was me! Went back to running the UV inline off one of the two return pumps. 180g display and 40g sump (total volume is probably 150-180g). Even running the 40w Pentair in-line (instead of off a separate pump) it raises the temp about .1 degree an hour. I’ve come to the conclusion the UV is just too big for the system. Thinking of switching to the Aqua Ultraviolet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back