Candy Cane Coral Blackened stalk

teatimecrumpet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm new to SW and just bought a kryptonite candy cane. It was my fault and I didn't take a good look at it because I was buying other stuff. But will this guy be ok with the black stalk? This pic was taken the day after I got it.

be50c9a7d25a3c43b2df0508aa17049e.jpg

7f8bdcc56b35cda8c9913fe1a968c21a.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like one completely dead head, another has died recently and others are dying off to. The top 2 look ok from this angle. Did you buy them like that or are they dying in your tank. The one that’s been dead for a while next to the stalk looking blackish is probably just algae that has been growing there for a while. I would be concerned about the other ones that have died recently and are in the process of dying where you see just the white skeleton. Giving them an iodine bath at this point is not gonna hurt and might help save some of the ones that still have flesh.

OP
OP
T

teatimecrumpet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it like that. It was my fault wasn't really paying attention because I was picking through some live rock in the guy's basement and there were other people there too so I just saw "oh nice glowy" and he bagged it up while I was leaving. Paid $15 for it. Should I iodine bath right away or give it some time? Should I cut off any of the bleached out heads or anything?

(by the way thanks for the quick responses I posted over at RC and got none!)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it be for now. If it starts to look worse i would dip. And dont worry about the dead skeleton or sponge growing on it unless you find them unsightly.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely give it a simple iodine bath asap, it’s not gonna hurt a thing and could really help save the rest from dying. The one that recently died (white skeleton) and the others half gone are dying for what ever reason as we speak, the top two look fine, an iodine bath is the least invasive thing you could try and it’s definitely not gonna make things worse. Seeing fresh dead and currently dying heads in your pics doing nothing and just crossing your fingers is not a good idea in my opinion. Good luck

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maybe move to lower light.
That’s not the issue, they look to be on the sand bed. As the op told us he bought them in that condition so whatever caused it happened in another tank. The ones not affected might just end up being fine now that they are in a different tank, but to the op as I mentioned before a simple iodine bath would be a great idea. They are really cool looking I have a couple colonies but not those neon green ones you have.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back