Candy Cane Coral without Feeders?

Blenny&Co.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I just picked up a couple of frags from a local seller. Among them was a mint green candy cane frag. When I took a look after the lights when out, I noticed that the new mint green candy cane frag put out its feeders. However, on the other hand my neon green candy cane, I have never seen sweepers from it, within the 3 months or so period in which I had it. My question is there is any reason why some candy canes are more apt to put out feeders than others? Photos attached below from clarity. Thank you! IMG-8917.jpg IMG-8918.jpg

OP
OP
Blenny&Co.

Blenny&Co.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's unhealthy, unhappy or recovering; normally they do have tentacles at night
How can I tell if its healthy or not otherwise than tentacles? The neon candy cane has been eating well and always swells up in the morning, so I assumed it was healthy?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessarily a sign of bad health.

I had to regularly feed my candy cane for it to start putting out tentacles at night. I did this by putting it in a bowl of tank water and placing food (pellets work great) on the polyp, and it would slowly eat. Fascinating to watch.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t have to have their tentacles out to take in nourishment. I have a colony that I have rarely seen with the tentacles.
image.jpg

I started from just one tiny (1/4 inch) head as a rescue. I have a regular candy cane right above it that looks like duncan at night. As long as you don’t see it receding into it’s skeleton you’re fine.

OP
OP
Blenny&Co.

Blenny&Co.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also just be feeding later. Unless you watch it all night you never know
It doesn't. I actually did spend a whole night watching it, also because of late night work, but yeah I've never seen it put out feeders. Hopefully in the future though.
They don’t have to have their tentacles out to take in nourishment. I have a colony that I have rarely seen with the tentacles.
image.jpg

I started from just one tiny (1/4 inch) head as a rescue. I have a regular candy cane right above it that looks like duncan at night. As long as you don’t see it receding into it’s skeleton you’re fine.
Nice, I think I have the exact same one?
It's not necessarily a sign of bad health.

I had to regularly feed my candy cane for it to start putting out tentacles at night. I did this by putting it in a bowl of tank water and placing food (pellets work great) on the polyp, and it would slowly eat. Fascinating to watch.
Yeah its really fun to watch them eat. But when I feed them, its mouth just opens up to swallow the pellets.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been feeding it regularly ever since you got it, or just recently? It can take some time to "train" a coral to extend its tentacles IME.

OP
OP
Blenny&Co.

Blenny&Co.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been feeding it regularly ever since you got it, or just recently? It can take some time to "train" a coral to extend its tentacles IME.
I feed all my corals pellets every 2-3 days. For the candy, it seems to be full after a single pellet for each head.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my corals pellets every 2-3 days. For the candy, it seems to be full after a single pellet for each head.
Hmm, not sure then. I guess just keep trying.

Come to think of it, I have a hammer that has never extended feeding tentacles in the 3 years I've had it.

mrshollyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Wow! This is beautiful!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back