Candy cane help

Pinkfrost001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer to reef tanks. Set up in place for 6 months and just got some frags s couple of weeks ago and getting ready to place. I had an outbreak of what I thought was GHA. It was getting pretty bad on some frags I have attached to the side of the tank. Before this my candy cane was a puffy and beautiful guy. I decided to use a peroxide dip (3%) at a 4:1 ratio for 7 minutes. Followed by rinse then Seachem Reef Dip then another rinse. I was not watching and just set an alarm - my mistake. My candy cane was blistered all around the head when the timer went off. I did go ahead and do the rinse and Iodine dip before putting him back in the tank. I noticed the blisters are now popping! I did a lot of reach on the forums before the dip and I felt confident he would be fine. I cannot find anything related to the blistering and if I killed him. Any advice is appreciated.

As a side - not much of the algae came off with the dip. So maybe it is not GHA after all. I’ve included a pick of my Palys eating that shows the algae a little better as well.

F83CFF44-C08A-4279-A1F5-63275E07D809.jpeg 59D19C57-E3BD-4DAF-B590-F764A8706E45.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say 4:1, do you mean to say that you used 4 parts peroxide to one part water?

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some very dirty Caulastrea furcata home from an auction win. I put mine through; Bayer dip 6-8 minutes. RODI 4-6 minutes. Saltwater 8-10 minutes. Peroxide 1:3 water. 1- 2 minutes tops. Saltwater Dip 2-4 minutes. Then Coral RX or Medicoral iodine dip for 6-9 minutes depending how things look. Back into fresh saltwater rinse. Then into saltwater final soak for 10 minutes.

very long story short. Mine looked terrible and far worse than these. Prior to dip most of flesh was gone and skeleton was stuck through what remained.
it bubbled and blistered up. Stayed that way for 24-36 hours once in the tank. Have since fully recovered and look beautiful.
timeline total 2-3 weeks. I’d have to check my notes.
Good luck. So long as your water is stable in DT. Should recover nicely.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back