Canister contents

yourendofdays

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to be setting up my first reef tank, first salt tank in many years. I'm going with canister filters (I know what people think about them). It is a 40 breeder. I bought 2 Penn plax 700's with the idea that intake/return one each side of the tank would be beneficial. While I'm still debating this, as one larger would give the same flow with a smaller footprint in the stand, I'm starting to think of what to go in them. In freshwater I always did floss/sponge, lava rock, plastic scrubbers. I have seen people putting live rock rubble, cheato, etc., And was thinking sponge/floss and ceramic rings. What do you think would be best to go in it, and what are opinions on the two smaller vs one larger (each would give about. 4.5x gph turnover, together at 9.25x)?

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a FX5 on my 90g reef.

it works great! But you do need some agitation at the surface which is hard to get sometimes with a canister

but I just have varying sponge filter sizes and floss at the bottom to clear everything up.

I also put 2 bags of chemipure elite in there. Not sure if I need it anymore but I do it anyway

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a saltwater fish only tank with an Eheim canister. It works. Consider an Fx4 as it will have more area for filtration. I'd leaven the perimeter sponges. Fill the top container with matrix then the bottom container with floss and chemical filtration of choice. Carbon is always good to remove yellowing water and any chemicals released by corals.

I'm currently running a Tidal 75 on my 20G desk tank and it's great but soon as the floss clogs the water bypasses the filter and water is no longer polished. With a canister the flow would reduce and you know to change it out yet it keeps filtering until done so.

I think one is better than two. Place intake and return opposite each and that will create circulation. Add a wave maker to get better flow through tank depending on which corals are added. Isn't necessary.

One convenience I appreciate with the Tidal is ability to stop flow for feeding. Could put the canister on a smart plug and shut it off. Which they came with a app controlled DC pump. That would make them the ultimate filter.

Nothing filter water mechanically better than a canister and they can also be setup to do biological.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a canister on my 45 for 10 years. However still have a hang on the back skimmer which I feel is necessary. I run media filters ammonia pads, activated carbon. And sometimes ammonia media also ceramic. Not saying that I am a firm believer in the setup as to what I put in the canister, but it works, and so why change?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say no to a canister why not just sump it easier to clean, hides equipment and adds water volume win win win

Last edited:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say since I have both I do like the sump for the fact that I can do an entire water change without disturbing the fish at all. In the canister tank it has to be done much more carefully and smaller changes. definite point on volume which makes for more forgiveness I suppose. But found it a huge pain trying to grow cheato the light created algae problems which were not easy to clean. I am having trouble getting it now but have to figure out a way to grow it elsewhere. Less mess cleaning the canister. Would not use it on a large tank for sure

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back