Canister filter as recirculating pump for Calcium Reactor?

2nafisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a dumb idea ? I was have a spare eheim canister filter. Would it be stupid to use it as the recirculating pump for my geo 612 calcium reactor and fill it with additional media to assist with burning off any excess CO2 to reduce ph impact on my tank?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could, but... What's wrong with the either PanWorld or Since pump that comes with the Geo?

OP
OP
2nafisher

2nafisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had an eheim 1048 on it.. The magnet on the impeller has cracked. I happened to have a spare eheim canister filter and had to hook it up to recirculate the water to get me by. I emptied all the guts out of the canister so it is empty and just pushing water. After I hooked it up, it dawned on my that I could add some more reactor media in the canister, kinda like a secondary chamber. I not seeing/thinking of any negatives, but I could
be missing something.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine. As long as there is enough gph moving through the reactor, why not...

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my canister as a pump for a UV that I set up temporarily when I had dinos. I ran it empty with no media or filtration, it was just to circulate water through the UV that emptied into a filter sock.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a canister for my main pump on my tank. Cant see any reason not to use it. Only thing I can think of is noise or micro air if you have to cut the flow down low and that may be over thinking it.

OP
OP
2nafisher

2nafisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, so far so good. My reactor is set up I a walk in closet beside the tank so I’m not at all concerned about noise. It isn’t loud though, I purged the air 2/3 times so I believe I cleared it all out. I just haven’t added and reactor media in there yet, but I may do it just to see if it help burn off any excess CO2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back