Canister filter media question

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me give a little info on what I got going on. I recently moved from KY to PA. With that move I sold my 240gal aquarium and all fish. I kept most of my coral and all of made the move safely. Most of my coral is still pretty small. Where I live currently is temporary, and I have decided to keep my coral in a 40b as kind of a grow out tank with basic equipment and weekly water changes. Recently I noticed some corals not looking great, so I started testing some things, and found I had a low amount of ammonia suddenly. With very little bacteria due to no live rock or sand and not running carbon I decided to pick up a canister filter that is rated for up to 100 gallons to increase all forms of filtration and water turnover.

I would like to increase my bio filtration, and also run carbon with this new filter but am unsure the best media to do so. Looking for recommendations on how to set this thing up such as types/brands of media and also what order to put them in in the canister filter.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My first question would be which test kit are you using? Then which canister are you using? it makes a difference in what media can be used. How long has this been set up and what we’re you using before you saw this issue for filtration . Any other mechanical filtration or skimmers?Any fish or CuC?

A few more details may help get it dialed in. Moves are always a pain

NorCal Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Fluval FX4 on 75 gal sps dominated tank. I have removed almost all the foam and have it filled with marine pure balls and ehime media balls in media bags. I clean it every other week with my water change. I run carbon and gfo in a separate reactor. Tank is almost a year old and no issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back