Canister Filter vs Sicce Shark Pro

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I currently have a canister filter under my 46 gallons bowfront reef tank. I hate it. While it gets the job done I was always thinking of one day replacing it with a sump. Now I see there is this Sicce Shark Pro submersible filter that looks really cool. Should I go with that or would I be downgrading filtration and flow?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canister is not needed, it only provides mechanical filtration, and flow.

Flow can be replaced by powerheads, and mechanical filtration can be done with a hob filter (why put a submersible filter in the tank and lose space?).

I ran a canister filter for a year, and I hated it too, life was better when I finally ditched it.

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canister is not needed, it only provides mechanical filtration, and flow.

Flow can be replaced by powerheads, and mechanical filtration can be done with a hob filter (why put a submersible filter in the tank and lose space?).

I ran a canister filter for a year, and I hated it too, life was better when I finally ditched it.
Any recommendations for a good HOB filter?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind my canister. Now saying that i have another (identical) tank that is drilled that im going to switch to soon but the canister is just ugly imo. Mine works great. Hob are loud and look worst than a canister.

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind my canister. Now saying that i have another (identical) tank that is drilled that im going to switch to soon but the canister is just ugly imo. Mine works great. Hob are loud and look worst than a canister.
The canister works fine, it’s just so cumbersome when it comes to maintenance and I tend to end up spilling a bunch of water when I disconnect the tubes. That’s fine now where the tank is but I plan on moving it over to an area with wood floors so I want to reduce the chance of spills.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canister works fine, it’s just so cumbersome when it comes to maintenance and I tend to end up spilling a bunch of water when I disconnect the tubes. That’s fine now where the tank is but I plan on moving it over to an area with wood floors so I want to reduce the chance of spills.
Gotcha. I have mine in a small container it sits in. Then when i disconnect the tubes the water goes inside it. Like this below.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-...ck-Yellow-Tote-with-Standard-Snap-Lid/3551290

Back