Canister filter

chs724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you read about people using canister filters. Isnt there metal parts that could rust? The motor for example consists of magnets which are exposed to water.

Is it any different with from a pump used in a sump?
Thx

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters we’re big in the 90s but sumps give you more opinions and space . There will be plenty of people still using canisters today and have no problems I thought they were great but a pain to clean never had problems with parts at all eheim is the best imo . But there is probably loads of different canisters now. I always got a over sized one just for more return flow for the tank but you can get wave makers now as well . Some people love them and others people won’t look at them . Hope this helps.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used one for years, but thinking back I don't recall any exposed metal parts. I used mine to drive a reverse flow under gravel filter.

They're basically a tub filled with ceramic media for the nitrifying bacteria to grow on (we now know live rock does it better), a few layers of fleece to mechanically filter out the lumps (socks or roller fleeces do that now), and perhaps a layer of carbon.

They are an absolute pain to clean - something which needs to be done often, and there is nothing they do which can't be done better by something else.

As you can probably tell, I don't like them.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen any metal parts exposed to water in my jbl and eheim filter. Been running my JBL filters on my quarantine tanks for about 8 months now and I don't see any corrosion when I open them up.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are an absolute pain to clean - something which needs to be done often, and there is nothing they do which can't be done better by something else.
In the freshwater hobby we don't have the luxury of skimmers so we rely on canisters for both mechanical and biological filtration. I don't agree that they are a pain to clean. Just unplug, disconnect the hoses with a quick release and rinse out the inside. I find them easier to clean than filter socks. A lot less messy. I guess it's just what we're used to.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the freshwater hobby we don't have the luxury of skimmers so we rely on canisters for both mechanical and biological filtration. I don't agree that they are a pain to clean. Just unplug, disconnect the hoses with a quick release and rinse out the inside. I find them easier to clean than filter socks. A lot less messy. I guess it's just what we're used to.
I have a sump and had an Eheim canister filter previously. The canister was a pain particularly when cleaning the tubing. It never failed to usually create a mess. I use padding in plastic cups in my sump. Just throw the padding away and replace.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every machine (filter, powerhead, heater, etc...) has a sealed waterproof compartment where the electrical components are stored. Nothing will rust, unless the seal of the compartment is damaged and water enters. Thats were you get electricity going into the water, which is a more serious and urgent problem than the metal parts inside slowly rusting away.

Thats how all these pumps work, something magnetic inside the "compartment" spins the magnet to create the flow.

I'm sorry I don't know any technical words. But if you ever get a powerhead or pump that fails, take it apart, its interesting.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back