Canister filter

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using fluval 305 on a 55gal. My question is what is the best canister filter in your opinion. I love fluval filters. I wanted to do a sump but it's not a option because my new tank coming is not drilled. And can't be drilled. Is there other options to do a sump?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using fluval 305 on a 55gal. My question is what is the best canister filter in your opinion. I love fluval filters. I wanted to do a sump but it's not a option because my new tank coming is not drilled. And can't be drilled. Is there other options to do a sump?
You could do a hang on back overflow such as the Eshopps PF800. Its a continuous siphon overflow that can carry your water from the tank down to the sump. and then use a hang on back return nozzle to return the water to the tank :)
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+33163+33814+18358&pcatid=18358
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14680

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several quality over the top overflows AKA external overflows. They aren't as safe as drilling a tank but they are still very safe. I prefer the CPR since they have a built in way to restart siphon. You will want to make sure your return pump is less than the flow rate of the overflow.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/deluxe-cs102-with-lid-and-aqua-lifter.html

As for a canister filter, the only good use for them is to convert them to a media reactor IMO.

Last edited:

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got a tank that couldn't be drilled I would switch out the back pane to one that could be drilled. That's how much I want a proper safe overflow and a sump. But yes, there are workarounds as stated above. Try to get a sump going, you won't regret it, and keep the canister as a media reactor or set up a nice freshwater tank with it. [emoji4]

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the cpr hob and recently added over the tank overflow using a cpr weir box. the cpr is wall to wall cheato and is getting the job done. the overflow was partly to be able to add filter socks and a semi cryptic zone and likely more a personal DIY challenge. The filter socks worked (the cpr isnt mechanical filtration friendly), and a little to good, so I take them off between tank maintenance .

The CPR was a breeze to set up. The over the tank overflow was a lot harder to do and tune, but it gives me a whole lot more options and more sump volume.

Last edited:

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got a tank that couldn't be drilled I would switch out the back pane to one that could be drilled. That's how much I want a proper safe overflow and a sump. But yes, there are workarounds as stated above. Try to get a sump going, you won't regret it, and keep the canister as a media reactor or set up a nice freshwater tank with it. [emoji4]

I have to agree with this. if the tank hasn't been stet up, now is the time to do this correctly and have the back pane switched out. I'd bet the ranch that you now knowing this option is available, not a day will go by without you regretting it if you opt for one of th other two options.

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how do you keep the display tank from draining completely out if there is a power black out. Which is coming in the summer in my house

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how do you keep the display tank from draining completely out if there is a power black out. Which is coming in the summer in my house

basically, and very simply, the siphon breaking when the water level in the DT drops. the sump needs to be large enough to handle the excess water. correct designs will also start the flow down when the power comes back to prevent the DT from overflowing.

This is a good video from BRS explaining plumbing physics.

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it possible to use the fluval out let and the in let like inverted to a sump? We did alot of research so far. I'm just curious it it would work. If not we are doing the back hang on over flow

joseph78009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like to chime in.It would be advsable to avoid any overflow box that uses a aqualifter pump.they have failed several times and what happens is the pump in sump will pump all the water into your display in my case I had a large sump and water over flowed out of top of tank flooding the floor. I used the overflows that do nt use aqua lifter pump.

Jorgehiram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about 4 years I have been using a Fluval 206 on a 35g bowfront, no skimmer no options at the time. Had some issues with algae and for sure Nitrates but 1 year ago did some simple inexpensive changes with the media and all of my parameters are in check except PH at 7.6 but working on it. Basically the Fluval work as a reactor with Matrix, premium filter pads from Amazon, purigen and Rowa. I use Seachem Matrix on two trays bio media not the carbon. MicroBacter at the begging for the Matrix. Heavy stocked my phosphates are at .03 to .08 with the Hanna and my Nitrates at 10ppm with Red Sea.
Water changes every 2-3 weeks, clean the pads weekly and replace/regenerate Purigen with water changes regardless. Medium flow.
Zoas are very happy but now that I have a small rescued yellow tang from Petco and no more child support My wife will allow me to have a Reefer Delux.
Matrix is great inexpensive an no aluminum release.

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a fluval 305 for 6 years on a 55 gal. I then broke it down I moved out of my parents with my husband and now we have so extra funds for a bigger tank I sold my 55 gal for a couple extra bucks. I love the canister idea, but hubby been doing alot of research and it's handy. So we are doing the sump, with a diy hang over overflow (he's very hard headed when it comes to spending money for quality not my choice) he did say if it doesn't work I can order the eshopps. I'm extremely educated in saltwater, just not in plumbing and etc. As for the drilling of the tank we don't have extra money to spend if we shatter the tank. Thank you so much for being kind. I appreciate it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back