Canister filter

wvfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank.
Would it be ok to put a 700 GPH canister on a 75 gallon tank?

OP
OP
W

wvfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to a canister filter, or a media canister (such as for carbon, bio-media, or the like)?
Canister filter
20181209_154411.jpeg

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being overkill is a matter of opinion. Some don't care for canister filters in general. If it weren't for my external protein skimmer, and space restrictions, I'd use one. I have my freshwater FX5 in storage. Overkill can be managed by limiting the amount, and type, of filter media used; just because there is space for it, don't fill every tray. Or put extra bio media, such as Seachem matrix. Beneficial bacteria exists in the sand, live rock, and other bio media. The canister filter won't filter anything that a sump wouldn't filter. The amount of water processed can also be limited by the flow nobs on the intake and output of the canister.

OP
OP
W

wvfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being overkill is a matter of opinion. Some don't care for canister filters in general. If it weren't for my external protein skimmer, and space restrictions, I'd use one. I have my freshwater FX5 in storage. Overkill can be managed by limiting the amount, and type, of filter media used; just because there is space for it, don't fill every tray. Or put extra bio media, such as Seachem matrix. Beneficial bacteria exists in the sand, live rock, and other bio media. The canister filter won't filter anything that a sump wouldn't filter. The amount of water processed can also be limited by the flow nobs on the intake and output of the canister.
So that particular pictures canister would be good for a 75 gallon tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that particular pictures canister would be good for a 75 gallon tank.
First Off:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and hope you feel at home.

For a coral reef a protein skimmer would be a better choice.
If you go with a canister filter you'll really need to stay on top of the maintenance.
Put a lot of Siporax in it.

I've done it on a ole 29 gallon bio-cube but never tried it on a bigger reef.

OP
OP
W

wvfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Off:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and hope you feel at home.

For a coral reef a protein skimmer would be a better choice.
If you go with a canister filter you'll really need to stay on top of the maintenance.
Put a lot of Siporax in it.

I've done it on a ole 29 gallon bio-cube but never tried it on a bigger reef.
What if I only do FOWLR.
Which is better, slimmer or canister filter. One or the other......both ??

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work, it’s a matter of preference.

The canister filter is probably quicker to get going as it doesn’t involve plumbing. Maintenance is more cumbersome; the canister must be disconnected and moved to a sink or bathtub for maintenance as the water must be drained. The sponges inside the filter should be rinsed/cleaned in the water drained from the canister. This is to prevent beneficial bacteria in the sponges from being killed with excessive freshwater cleaning. But the maintenance is only once a month. You’ll have the input and output hoses hanging over the back of the tank. Heaters will be in the tank. So this solution results in more equipment in the tank.

A sump adds more water volume. Equipment, such as heaters, can be in the sump, instead of the display tank. A protein skimmer removes organics before they can break down; a benefit over the canister. A sump needs an overflow from the display tank, which means plumbing and a return pump. So overall it’s more expensive and requires more time to setup. The sump is more flexible as it’s easier to add other equipment such as algae turf scrubbers, a refugium, reactors, etcetera.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filter can give you a lot of bio “bank”. Depending on what other bank you have that’s not necessarily a good thing. Too much bank can be an issue.

The biggest draw back to a canister on saltwater is the canister is fed from underwater. Mostly all saltwater tanks are designed to skim water from the tank surface, because on a saltwater tank the proteins float to surface.

OP
OP
W

wvfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work, it’s a matter of preference.

The canister filter is probably quicker to get going as it doesn’t involve plumbing. Maintenance is more cumbersome; the canister must be disconnected and moved to a sink or bathtub for maintenance as the water must be drained. The sponges inside the filter should be rinsed/cleaned in the water drained from the canister. This is to prevent beneficial bacteria in the sponges from being killed with excessive freshwater cleaning. But the maintenance is only once a month. You’ll have the input and output hoses hanging over the back of the tank. Heaters will be in the tank. So this solution results in more equipment in the tank.

A sump adds more water volume. Equipment, such as heaters, can be in the sump, instead of the display tank. A protein skimmer removes organics before they can break down; a benefit over the canister. A sump needs an overflow from the display tank, which means plumbing and a return pump. So overall it’s more expensive and requires more time to setup. The sump is more flexible as it’s easier to add other equipment such as algae turf scrubbers, a refugium, reactors, etcetera.
So would it be beneficial to do a canister filter and skimmer at the same time, or is that overkill or not neccessary.

You lost me on the last things you listed on your reply. Not that far into it.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your last question re: canister or skimmer or both (overkill or not necessary), I've been running reef tanks for over a decade on canister filters and hang-on-the-back (HOB) skimmers. I feel that it works for me and I've found success with this method. I'm not advising you to set up your tank that way, I'm merely stating my experience.

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said in this thread. I think the separate question of sump/no sump might help you make a decision. If you go with a sump, most people use a skimmer with a sump. Using a sump pretty much obviates the need to even think about using a canister. However, if you go "sumpless," you could use an HOB skimmer AND use a canister if you want.

I personally see skimming as a form of mechanical filtration. I know some don't feel that way but that's neither here nor there. In any case, a canister can provide mechanical, biological, and chemical filtration if you choose to set it up this way. A sump can do the same, and is generally considered a better tool in reef keeping compared to a canister. In my opinion, a canister can't remove "protein" like a skimmer can, and a skimmer can't provide the filtering options a sump or canister can. I sure someone will explain that they run a system without a skimmer, and that's true, that's what works for them. You're asking questions on a potentially huge topic of debate, so please know I'm offering just one perspective.

While there are folks that run systems without any one of the components I mentioned, there are people that run with all, PLUS reactors and other mechanisms. It is going to take research to find out what you prefer to start with, and it will take experience to find out what you might want to add or subtract for your system. There are many ways to set up a tank; there is no one right answer... Again, in my humble opinion.

I hope this helps!

OP
OP
W

wvfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filter can give you a lot of bio “bank”. Depending on what other bank you have that’s not necessarily a good thing. Too much bank can be an issue.

The biggest draw back to a canister on saltwater is the canister is fed from underwater. Mostly all saltwater tanks are designed to skim water from the tank surface, because on a saltwater tank the proteins float to surface.
Explain bio bank and bank

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain bio bank and bank
Bank, bio bank is how much rock, substrate, matrix, marinepure, whatever that is porous and with capacity to store and release and or grow helpful bacteria and convert nutrients. How’s that for a run on sentence?

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters work great! I use the fx4 on my 120 gallon. If oits too overpowered you can just tune the outflow valve a little but i dont think this canister would put out to much flow in a 75 gallon so you should be fine.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

First you will need to research what type of system you want in terms of livestock and operate off of that. Have you ever had any type of aquarium before? Have you seen any tanks on here that you would like to try?

I have a 75 Gallon Reef and I run my tank naturally which means I do not have a sump, filter or skimmer. I run my reef with lights, heater and power heads.

There are tons of ways to run a reef tank and if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wvfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

First you will need to research what type of system you want in terms of livestock and operate off of that. Have you ever had any type of aquarium before? Have you seen any tanks on here that you would like to try?

I have a 75 Gallon Reef and I run my tank naturally which means I do not have a sump, filter or skimmer. I run my reef with lights, heater and power heads.

There are tons of ways to run a reef tank and if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers.
Yeah, I used to have a 125g freshwater years ago. This will be my first saltwater tank.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I used to have a 125g freshwater years ago. This will be my first saltwater tank.

In that case, I would read a lot of Tank journals and see what kind of tank you would like to emulate. That will help you decide what is best for you as far as equipment.

In general terms regarding the canister: it can be used but it requires consistent maintenance, more so than other types of filtration......This can become a problem fast if you do not keep up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back