Canister filter

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters are great for FW, not so much SW.

The only way I'd say it can ok is if you took all media and filter pads out, otherwise they increase nitrates in our reefs.

Also if that is all you are using you are less than 10x turnover, which is very low turnover for a reef

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fx4 on my 55. Using ceramic, phosguard, carbon and 2mls of homebrew nopox per day. Plus the aquamaxx hob skimmer. Looks great!

No nitrates, trace phosphates.

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every aquarist has their 0wn approach to the hobby. IMO, (despite some feedback you get) there is no right or wrong way, as long as your approach works for you. And things will change as you progress. I decided up front that I wanted to keep things as simple as possible, because I knew that if things got out of hand I would burn out fast. Sumps, controllers, dosers, UV, scrubbers, reactors, auto top off, and on and on and on, for me is just gear that needs to be maintained. At some point all this time saving equipment costs you more time.

That is just my thought. But I am sure I am in the minority. For me a canister makes a ton of sense. It is a filter and reactor all in one. I find it to be super easy and reports of canisters being a nitrate factory has not been my experience. Plus my FX4 fits in a very small space. Like you I am FOWLR. Maybe I will do corals one day. But corals are a commitment 10x what a FOWLR is. And I love my dwarf angels.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back