Canister filter

lilkiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am back here after maybe a year or two. Created a new account. Have had a 38 gallon salt water tank for 2 years now. I finally made the decision to start over new with my tank. But before doing so I am going to buy a new canister filter as well a pre filter unit to connect with the canister.

Here is my question, I currently have a Fluval 307 I believe. I bought it used for a good deal but always had a heck of a time to always get it started after a WC. I’m looking at the Penn Plax Cascade 1000 and by the Penn Plax pre filter unit. Or I was looking at the Fluval Fx4 (which I know does not have an attachment for a pre filter unit) would they be too strong for my 38 gallon tank? As well which would you recommend?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Cascade 1000 on a FW 55 gallon tank several years ago. FWIW, I never got along with it. Replaced it with an Aquaclear 110. If you ever consider an HOB, look at the Seachem Tidals, or the Aquaclears.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cascades are easier to work with than Fluval cannisters. if you must go the cann route i'd go with a cascade.

i have 4 of the 1500's and 4 fluval fx6- i consider the fluvals a headache at best.

Given your difficulty in restarts after WC the cascade has a primer built in and you can just use foam blocks cut to size for a prefilter.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 307 on my only non-sump'd tank and it's a pain in the behind.burps, farts & coughs away after being switched off for water change & even with new gaskets it drips unless I add some silicone.id recommend eheim cannisters personally

Lovergasoline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cascades are easier to work with than Fluval cannisters. if you must go the cann route i'd go with a cascade.

i have 4 of the 1500's and 4 fluval fx6- i consider the fluvals a headache at best.

Can you elaborate on the cons of the Fluval? I've only owned one filter (Rena/Filstar XP3/XPL for 17 years) and am researching a Fluval FX4 (or #407) as a replacement. Getting a new filter is like getting married, so I want to make sure flaws are ones I can tolerate.
Thanks a bunch.

Lovergasoline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 307 on my only non-sump'd tank and it's a pain in the behind.burps, farts & coughs away after being switched off for water change & even with new gaskets it drips unless I add some silicone.id recommend eheim cannisters personally

What Eheim canister filter(s) have you had good experience with ... pros and cons?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Eheim canister filter(s) have you had good experience with ... pros and cons?

.............. ALL OF THEM .... most reliable on the planet

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on the cons of the Fluval? I've only owned one filter (Rena/Filstar XP3/XPL for 17 years) and am researching a Fluval FX4 (or #407) as a replacement. Getting a new filter is like getting married, so I want to make sure flaws are ones I can tolerate.
Thanks a bunch.
I see no downside to the FX4 it's a great canister filter.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have EHEIM 2217 canisters on multiple tanks running over 20 years. NEVER a problem. Just wished the suction cups lasted longer LOL

Lovergasoline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the Eheim 2217 sells new on Amazon for $125. Would this design - relative to other offerings - be easy to maintain, trouble shoot, and clean for someone with with little to no aquarium experience and/or at the lower end of mechanical aptitude? When I'm out of town someone else (usually not an aquarium person per se) deals with aquarium duties so prefer something with high scores on plug & play - ease of maintenance spectrum (I've only owned a Rena/Filstar XP3).
What about parts availability for this model?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am back here after maybe a year or two. Created a new account. Have had a 38 gallon salt water tank for 2 years now. I finally made the decision to start over new with my tank. But before doing so I am going to buy a new canister filter as well a pre filter unit to connect with the canister.

Here is my question, I currently have a Fluval 307 I believe. I bought it used for a good deal but always had a heck of a time to always get it started after a WC. I’m looking at the Penn Plax Cascade 1000 and by the Penn Plax pre filter unit. Or I was looking at the Fluval Fx4 (which I know does not have an attachment for a pre filter unit) would they be too strong for my 38 gallon tank? As well which would you recommend?
also, welcome back to R2R

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back