Canopy Interior Options Help

Tim P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

So I'm finishing up the interior canopy of my new 200G. Last thing I want is for this new in-wall monstrosity to fall apart, so I'm definitely over-doing a lot.

So far, I've put down 2 coats of Kilz 2 and 2 coats of white enamel Behr paint.

I'm debating whether to add 2 layers of Polycyrlic on top of all that. I really don't want this peeling or chipping or getting wet and attracting mold.

Has anyone had lasting success doing the above steps without/with poly? I'd prefer not to do this last step, but then again, a few hrs of misery is better than having to deal with the consequences...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oil on top of water base is not the idea situation. If the Behr is outdoor paint you should be good.

OP
OP
Tim P

Tim P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're fine with the paint you have on it. Will it have good air flow?

So the sump area will have great airflow. I have a vent fan venting outside, attached to a humidistat. The canopy has a 4"H x 30"W opening for the return pipes that lead to the sump area, so I'd imagine some of that humidity would get drawn out too.

I just want to get this right while I still have the chance to make corrections before the plumbing and water/rockscape is put in. UGHH

OP
OP
Tim P

Tim P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oil on top of water base is not the idea situation. If the Behr is outdoor paint you should be good.
It should have been exterior paint, however, unbeknownst to me, the contractor used interior water based enamel. However, I was under the impression that polycrylic is water based as well...perhaps that on top of the enamel would work...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should have been exterior paint, however, unbeknownst to me, the contractor used interior water based enamel. However, I was under the impression that polycrylic is water based as well...perhaps that on top of the enamel would work...
That should work well then

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just used a poly on the inside of my oak canopy and it lasted 11 years...

i only took it down because i wanted more accessibility to the tank and changed to a floating canopy

OP
OP
Tim P

Tim P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just used a poly on the inside of my oak canopy and it lasted 11 years...

i only took it down because i wanted more accessibility to the tank and changed to a floating canopy
Good to hear, thanks for the feedback.

Back