Can't keep snails alive,,, any thoughts

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they are Mexican or not. Always from the same store.. I had started with 6 but now down to only 3.. Sure seems like starvation but can't be sure..

my previous post should have stated zero nitrites not nitrates... would not let me edit.

From what I have read they appear to be sensitive to nitrates so I'm guess that's my problem. Not sure what the upper limit is for nitrates, not posted in the articles that I have read.

Correct. They don't tolerate high nitrate, mag, Cu, or temp. Blue legged hermits are less aggressive than red legs. Hermits do mess with snails but for the most part if the snail is do well it literally shakes them off of just closes. Otherwise the snail was dying or just died that's why its being eatin. Astraea, nerite, and cerith snails do a good job on algae.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a phone pic of 3 snails..
snail1.jpg

Also I rarely ever have hair algae... PH is 7.9
Looks like two Trochus Snail's and a turbo. Is that right?

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a phone pic of 3 snails..
snail1.jpg

Also I rarely ever have hair algae... PH is 7.9

All 3 are Turbo Fluctuosa (Mexican turbo snail)
These don't do well in the average reef aquarium. The only luck I ever had with these was a reef setup I kept at 72 degrees. Even then they didn't hit 2 years.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have to feed the little buggers?? thought they lived off of algae..

water chem is good except for nitrates.. plenty of coralline everwhere.

Blizz

Some times if they fall I think they can also die from not being able to move. Not sure. I just know it seemed like some times in the beginning of my tank I had to flip them over. One time I was late and a crab was eating it.

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy is that the truth. Emerald crabs are even worse.

My emerald seems to leave my snails alone. My hermits may occasionally go after them, but only when they have a really nice shell. But then there's my crown conch, I have to keep him in isolation or he would kill em all.

Mimmrfr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no issues except how LARGE turbos grew as long as I had NO crabs!!! I run my tank a little"dirty (25 'trates) which assures plenty of food. I've always kept low numbers...nothing like typical recommendations. In a 65gal. I kept 5 and in my 120 I keep 7. They just keep growing and doing an awesome job!! The only death I've experienced is due to husbandry issues when I didn't realize they had fallen off ( they are clumsy) the glass and can't turn themselves over. I now count my turbos as I count fish each morning.

Greg Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails always seem to die in my 30 gallon tank too. I've heard the turbos are not for everyone so I switched to a different breed the LFS recommended (the breed name escapes me). After I switched breeds I eliminated the problem. I've had some of my snails for many years.

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say some turbo snails can't right them selfs. But it looks like you have Mexican turbos. I would guess they are not starving. I also think that your nitrates are way to high. That will kill almost any invert. Gotta get that down. I also would never recommend feeding snails. You'll just dirty the water more. Inverts always find stuff to eat.

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have no luck with the larger snails.
Everyone keeps saying they don't like higher Temps, but never state what is considered " higher temps".

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever treated this system with copper?
Unfortunately this thread started 5 years ago and original poster not been inline in 4 years.
Btw my first thought when read thread was has system got copper in but then reading Mexican turbos,I often see stated dont do well in what we keep our tanks at which generally around 77/78 and they don't last to long,but there is a different kind of turbo snail that does ok at reef temps but forgot the name lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220702-131605_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220702-131605_Chrome.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 9

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try eating 0 protein 0 carbs food - see how long you will live..

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts need iron.

I stopped losing them when I started dosing iron. I have been dosing for a year and my snails are huge with nice feet.

Unfortunately iron is "evil" because of cyano and it is therefore not present in most (if not all) salt mixes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back