Cant Keep SPS or LPS Alive! Help!

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run out of things to check, you might consider sending in a sample of your water for microbiome testing. I've had my tank tested a couple times and the results are fascinating. The sample is analyzed for populations of bacteria strains, including known coral and fish pathogens. I lost a couple of chromis and anthias for unknown reasons, until I saw the test results showing my water contained a certain strain of Photobacterium damselae which can kill these fish.

See https://aquabiomics.com/

And this thread has more details about it: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ong-testing-for-microbes-in-our-tanks.656595/

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 6.56.16 PM.png
Now that you have this information what can you do with it?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have this information what can you do with it?

While I don't know how to eradicate the pathogen, at least I know to stop chasing other parameters or solutions with no evidence of the cause. I did several water changes and plan to wait a few months before re-introducing fish that are vulnerable to that particular pathogen.

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run out of things to check, you might consider sending in a sample of your water for microbiome testing. I've had my tank tested a couple times and the results are fascinating. The sample is analyzed for populations of bacteria strains, including known coral and fish pathogens. I lost a couple of chromis and anthias for unknown reasons, until I saw the test results showing my water contained a certain strain of Photobacterium damselae which can kill these fish.

See https://aquabiomics.com/

And this thread has more details about it: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ong-testing-for-microbes-in-our-tanks.656595/

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 6.56.16 PM.png

I thought of that! I heard about them on the Skimate pod cast a few weeks ago.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is getting way out of control, the suggestions. Don’t chase parameters and if you must screw with something, do a water change. I have over 150 SPS and any time anything looks off I do a 25% water change. this is not rocket science.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also surprise nobody has mentioned his phosphates being high...I would get those down below.01

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is getting way out of control, the suggestions. Don’t chase parameters and if you must screw with something, do a water change. I have over 150 SPS and any time anything looks off I do a 25% water change. this is not rocket science.
This is my rule #1 when things starting to look off. Water changes are always my cure. As long as your make up water is good. These are your best friend , not trying to chase down some random numbers and messing with p04 and n03.
A ton of people on the internet now a days are giving some crazy advice some of which I look at and have to laugh out loud at sometimes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back