cant tell how to treat my fish

Fishthoughts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello fellow people! im not sure how to treat my fish as we aren't sure what's actually, it seems to be ich, just not sure which meds/treatment to use! was referred to this forum :)
we should be using.

happening!
19E46455-49D6-4B33-B83C-69A8A50D4A45.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. It does look like ich but my only other concern is some of the spots look larger than marine ich and clowns are prone to brooklynella.

What medications do you have on hand? Do you have a QT tank?

Are these new fish or recently added? Are these the only 2 fish in the aquarium

Did you add anything new to the aquarium recently?

How long have you noticed the parasites?

Are they still eating?

Here are some threads with more info and visual aids.

OP
OP
F

Fishthoughts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. It does look like ich but my only other concern is some of the spots look larger than marine ich and clowns are prone to brooklynella.

What medications do you have on hand? Do you have a QT tank?

Are these new fish or recently added? Are these the only 2 fish in the aquarium

Did you add anything new to the aquarium recently?

How long have you noticed the parasites?

Are they still eating?
we dont have any medications on hand at this current point in time.
we do have a qt tank in the midst of set up right now,
these clown fish aren't new we have had them for 3 years, but we have 4 fish in the tank in total and 2 of them ( a tang and wrasse) are new to the tank,
we recently added the wrasse and tang into the tank along with live rock a few weeks back
I noticed the parasites last night and yes they are still eating!!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay hemdals current diesese protocol 2021.
Maybe some good info in here for you,if not it's just good info to be familiar with .

Good luck

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been either the new rock or fish. Adding anything wet to the tank brings risk of new parasites.

Medications to have on hand.

- Copper (Copper Power recommended) Personally I always used Seachems Cupramine in the past but the last couple fish I put through copper was with copper power and it was way less harsh on the fish with larger therapeutic range.

- Ruby Reef Rally (Use as a 90 minute bath) It contains both acriflavine and formalin. The rally bath is an effective aid against brooklynella and other minor bacterial and other protozoans. It wont cure it but it gives your fish a good head start.

- API General Cure (contains both praziquantel and metro) Metro is effective against eradicating brooklynella and prazi against flukes.

- Seachem Metroplex + kanaplex or good to have on hand as well.

If I were you, I would start with a 5 min FWD. Match the PH and water temp, use an airstone and heater to hold temp during dip. Conduct 90 minute rally bath in sterile container using airstone and heater. Transfer to QT with copper levels at 1.0ppm (copper power) or 0.25ppm if using cupramine. (Make sure you are using reliable test kit, Hanna HR copper test is the easiest to read.) Then raise the copper to the proper therapeutic level over 24-48 hours splitting doses AM/PM. I would dose metro every 48 hours in conjunction with copper if the fish are doing well in treatment in the first couple days.

Good-luck!

OP
OP
F

Fishthoughts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been either the new rock or fish. Adding anything wet to the tank brings risk of new parasites.

Medications to have on hand.

- Copper (Copper Power recommended) Personally I always used Seachems Cupramine in the past but the last couple fish I put through copper was with copper power and it was way less harsh on the fish with larger therapeutic range.

- Ruby Reef Rally (Use as a 90 minute bath) It contains both acriflavine and formalin. The rally bath is an effective aid against brooklynella and other minor bacterial and other protozoans. It wont cure it but it gives your fish a good head start.

- API General Cure (contains both praziquantel and metro) Metro is effective against eradicating brooklynella and prazi against flukes.

- Seachem Metroplex + kanaplex or good to have on hand as well.

If I were you, I would start with a 5 min FWD. Match the PH and water temp, use an airstone and heater to hold temp during dip. Conduct 90 minute rally bath in sterile container using airstone and heater. Transfer to QT with copper levels at 1.0ppm (copper power) or 0.25ppm if using cupramine. (Make sure you are using reliable test kit, Hanna HR copper test is the easiest to read.) Then raise the copper to the proper therapeutic level over 24-48 hours splitting doses AM/PM. I would dose metro every 48 hours in conjunction with copper if the fish are doing well in treatment in the first couple days.

Good-luck!
we are going to get our copper power tomorrow! our reef place isn't open rn as he's closed for Boxing Day but it gives us time to get our QT tank all set up to the right temp!

thank you for the suggestions to have on hand!!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are going to get our copper power tomorrow! our reef place isn't open rn as he's closed for Boxing Day but it gives us time to get our QT tank all set up to the right temp!

thank you for the suggestions to have on hand!!
You're welcome! good-luck. Last thing to consider is that both ich and brooklynella will remain inside your display unless you run fallow (remove all fish) for 6 week to eradicate brook and 76 days for ich. Otherwise you will treat and then risk reinfecting them upon there return to your display.

OP
OP
F

Fishthoughts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome! good-luck. Last thing to consider is that both ich and brooklynella will remain inside your display unless you run fallow (remove all fish) for 6 week to eradicate brook and 76 days for ich. Otherwise you will treat and then risk reinfecting them upon there return to your display.
thank you!!!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back